slant 6 swap to 318

-

dirttrackdemon

Reaction score
Is there a thread out there on this swap. I would like to know what I am getting myself in for. If anyone has any pics it would sure help. Send to [Email removed by staff]
Thanks in advance, Bill

I'm at the tail end of a 65 swap to a 318. There have been some hiccups along the way but throwing money at the issues seems to be working slowly but surely.

Nothing much to it as far as work goes, but you can't use the slant six transmission with a V8, doesn't fit. The mounts on the K-member are different between 6 and 8 cylinder but they sell adapters, at least for the pre-72 cars, not sure about spool-type K-members.

Other than that, it's changing around some wiring, getting a V8 radiator and fan, V8 throttle cable, doing the exhaust and that's it. Your easiest route will be to locate a running V8 and trans combo that is complete. You need to use car manifolds in a car and truck trans linkage won't fit in a car.

There's a video online of what's needed. Guy did a superb job.

He even kept the factory rear end. Don't think it'll last long with the 318 but it works for a daily as long as your not flogging it every day

-
Back