Slant 6 talk; My first post

-

Hammer

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Had a girlfriend a few years back who had a 68 Dart conv. and always loved her car. Always told myself "Man, I want to get my hands on a Mopar!" Almost scored a 71 Demon with a /6 a few years back. But I was about to move so it just wasn't practical(like owning a 40 year old car would be anyway). So to make a long story short...after a long time looking on craigslist; I finally got my 71 Demon with a /6. Saw it on craigslist, 30 minutes after the guy posted it. He told me it needed to be completely restored. "No problemo!" I thought. I have an old car already(76 vette). So I went to look at it the next day. It had been sitting in a storage unit since 1996(a real "barn" find). So the body was almost completely rust-free. All original with 102K on the odometer. I had my work cut out, but I was ready. The guy sold me the car, a V8 K-member, front disk brakes, a 440, a 727, and a couple misc parts for $2500(what a steal, right?). Brakes were practically nonexistent(literally). Took me a week to get it running, just to find out the a-904 was no good. Took it out and got it rebuilt, and put it back in. Finally was able to take it on a real test drive. Went to test the kick-down on the new tranny...well; it worked! Kicked down so hard it spun a bearing and toasted the engine. And now the car is sitting engineless and prep'ed for its new /6! Thats got me all caught up on the background.
So the real question is...are these slant 6's as cool as everyone is saying? Because its not what the car is now(I NEED to keep the 6 for a daily driver so my mpg's aren't crap...for now). But later on, when the car is being torn down and rebuilt(after the vette is), what do I do? I have a slant 6, a 440ci b/b, and a 5.7L hemi out of a 300C(threw a rod through the pan; got it for so cheap I HAD to buy it just to hold onto). Obviously the hemi would be bad-***! It has all the fuel injection crap still on it so the options are there. But its expensive...REALLY expensive, to put that engine in my car. The 440 would be great...for a drag car. But its so heavy and big, i feel like I'd be just spinnin' my wheels(excuse the pun). So I come back to the /6...Whats the deal with these things? I've already read some forums on here about how to make go. But just how sweet is the /6?? I already had a great idea to make a "SRT6" out of my car...but I would like some input.

It all comes down to what you want. Its NOT a lot of work to make a slant scream. However it will Never be a Pigblock or 5.7. Think of it a s a warm 318 and I think you get the picture.
A slant will be the easiest to put back in as you wont need to do anything to the car to do it.
Slant will also be the cheapest if you are going to build your motor from the ground up.
There is plenty of GOOD guidance here and at slantsix.org.
Frank

I always say the /6 is a great car to learn on. With only one cylinder head instead of two, you can teach yourself how to port and polish. The power gains are also more noticeable. And the best thing is that if you somehow wreck the motor, you can usually pick up another one for $100, if that. I always try new things on the slant car, and then apply them to its big brother.

i also started on a slant car, my 65 belvedere. now that i have gone thru my slant 6 in my 68 dart i have learned alot!

stay with the slant, u build it up and most mopar guys look at it like a confused dog! there like whats under the hood of that thing!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviXVh2Uaq0"]YouTube- 68 dodge Dart[/ame]

1022091502.jpg

1022091503.jpg

ss dart.jpg

Anyone can make a car go fast with a V8,Takes a real nut to do it with a Slant.Very hard to describe the feeling you get beating most the V8s at the track with a slant.I wouldnt trade my motor for anything else.All motor I have done 7.245 in the 1/8th,,,,,in the 11s in the 1/4,haveing a ball.Guzzi Mark

Anyone can make a car go fast with a V8,Takes a real nut to do it with a Slant.Very hard to describe the feeling you get beating most the V8s at the track with a slant.I wouldnt trade my motor for anything else.All motor I have done 7.245 in the 1/8th,,,,,in the 11s in the 1/4,haveing a ball.Guzzi Mark

wow! i can't wait to get my dart strip ready!!

and yes, a built slant is cool!

a built slant to me has the wow factor when you go to a car show and everything has a v8 except for one. i love the power of a built v8, but at this point i want to see what i can get out of a 6 and still be able to afford gas. there are no drag strips near me and im old enough to know better about street racing.

I'm a V8 chick myself :-D but just wanted to welcome you to the best Mopar site on the net. You'll find everything you could want here to turn that baby into whatever you dream for. Make yourself at home and enjoy!!

-
Back