Slant 6 turbo how to set timing please help I will even pay

-

manny619

Reaction score
Here is what it has a 4 barrel Holley 390 cfm a t3 t 4 turbo it's a love hate relationship with this car some times it would run like a champ and other day I be driving it and it would start back firing and hesitate not good when the turbo is boosting the four barrel didnt have a place where to put the vacuum advance hose from the distributor so I wouldn't use it and set the timing at 15 # like I said it would run good and the next like shxxxxxt. It's driving me crazy so I installed a new distributor and can't get it to time right should I get a msd 6 btm will this solve my problem our is it some thing else it feels like the moon light has to hit it just right and she runs like a rape ape I'm only running 5 psi o yea if I set the timing at 15 # and and use manifold vacuum to the distributor it send the timing to the roof Please help I really want to finish this car take it the track and see want and old slant 6 can do

I am not to familiar with slant 6 timing but i have been researching turbo set ups for a while and currently building a large turbo motor for my cuda. what most guys seem to be doing is locking their timing at max timing that the car runs. My cuda is 38* total. Then they retard the timing 1-2* per pound of boost with a retarder like the MSD units. The BTM will only retard 15* total but that should be plenty unless you decide to go with more boost. If you want to get fancy there are a couple MSD units that you can program with a laptop or additional handheld. Those will allow you to set up a retard map in a time frame and timing for each cylinder. hope this helps

Sounds like it might be going lean, with the backfiring and hesitation. Accelerator pump maybe?

Is this blow through or draw through? I fought with a holley 390 for years and it was love/hate and it wasn't even boosted. Ran great till it sprung a leak or a gasket shrunk or the vacuum secondary diapraghm tore or it got too hot or the choke failed or the moon was full

-
Back