slant 6 & V8 Dusters

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I asked already but is there a difference between the leaf springs. I know the lenght is the same but what about the rate and leaf count?

All A-body leaf spring assemblies are the same length and width. Typically the standard leaf for the A-body had 4½ leafs while the heavy duty units had 5½. I researched the 72 model year and turned up 6 different part number listings. The 4-doors used a different part number than the 2-door cars, which I found interesting. Rates are going to vary from year to year depending on what market segment was being targeted.

The mounting to the uni-body is going to be the same for all springs. The 7¼ axle had smaller axle tubes so U-bolts and shock mount are going to be drilled for a 2.75" axle tube. The 8.25 and 8.75 axles both had 3" tubes, so U-bolts and shock mounts will interchange.

MT,
if you need the 3" U bolts and lower shock plates as well as the spring perches I have all of that stuff left over.
Andrew

I'm good for now Andrew, but if I score this 71 Scamp I'm going to look at tomorrow I'll need them.

All A-body leaf spring assemblies are the same length and width. Typically the standard leaf for the A-body had 4½ leafs while the heavy duty units had 5½. I researched the 72 model year and turned up 6 different part number listings. The 4-doors used a different part number than the 2-door cars, which I found interesting. Rates are going to vary from year to year depending on what market segment was being targeted.

The mounting to the uni-body is going to be the same for all springs. The 7¼ axle had smaller axle tubes so U-bolts and shock mount are going to be drilled for a 2.75" axle tube. The 8.25 and 8.75 axles both had 3" tubes, so U-bolts and shock mounts will interchange.
Cool! where can I peruse this info?

-
Back