slant 6 wont start HELP!!!!!

-

bryanc

Reaction score
hi everyone im new and need your help.....i have a 74 plymouth gold duster ......i got off work yesterday picked up a cap and rotor "did a tune up a few weeks ago and they didn't have them in stock" i let the car cool down about 20 min put the cap and rotor on and NO START?????i double checked my firing order and still no fire so i put the old ones back on NO START??? i checkd FUEL / AIR / SPARK ...ALL GOOD ....my starter has been getting weak for a while now and turned it in on warranty and picked up a new ballest resistor.still no start......my dizzy hasn't moved its still tight...the rotor is spinning /i have spark coming out of every plug wire/ fuel pump,carb,accl pump all good........this is my daily driver PLEASE HELP IM STUCK AND PULLING MY HAIR OUT:angry5:

The most likely thing is "you did something"

You don't have the cap properly seated.

You installed the plug wires incorrectly

You damaged the coil wire.

etc..........

Remove the coil wire, have someone crank WITH THE KEY and describe what the spark looks like. If it seems weak, use a wire/ clip lead/ test lamp as a probe. Ground the clip lead/ lest lamp, and hold the other end near/ into the top of the coil. Retest the spark. Should look nice 'n healthy, and jump at least 3/8" or more

Next, carefully examine the rotor and cap interior for damage

Last, pull at least two plugs and examine for fowling, and now that you have no1 plug out, make SURE of your timing.

Stick your finger (if you can reach!!) into no1, or find something (compression guage hose, etc) and bump engine until you START to feel compression. Now watch the timing marks and bump around to between 10 BTC and 0 TDC. Now check your rotor and CONFIRM that is actually where you have no1 wire. You DO have the wires going CW around the cap?

i figured it out......the next morning .....THREE TEETH BROKE OFF THE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE GEAR.....it would catch and throw spark and every once in a while the rotor wouldn't turn "i could see that once i had my brother give me a hand" thanks guys!!!8)

that happens once in while Chrysler made them out of plastic and its hard find one made out of metal

-
Back