Slant HD radiator for 318??

-

Belvedere66

Reaction score
Have a question.....I am looking to replace a bad radiator in a 72 Dart with a 318, stock radiator. A friend of mine has a slant six radiator that was from a factory A/C car so it is the larger HD version. Obviously the upper fitting is on the wrong side and also the lower fitting is a 1/4" smaller than a V8 radiator. Anyone know what hoses I would need for this application? Probably won't be able to use the stock hoses normally used for the 318.

This is for a budget build/flip so, yes, I could buy a new one....but I'd rather save that money for my 71.

By the time you get the hose thing straightened out so it doesn't scare off a buyer you'll probably wish you just spent the 200 on an inexpensive replacement from O Reilly's with the right hose connections.
Cooling capacity would probably be just fine for a stock 318 though.

When I ran my slant 6 radiator with my 318 I took the stock slant 6 lower radiator hose and cut a strait section off at about 3 inches or so. Then stuck it on the bottom fitting. Then stuck a stock spec sized 318 lower radiator hose over it. Used the old hose as like a spacer. I'd tell the buyer about it though, it wouldn't bother me personally if I was buying it. Just one of those things he/she would have to fix in the future

That's a really ingenius idea lol, I might try that out. It's only a 1/4" difference so it should hold pretty well.

My other thought was since I plan on selling it I wonder if having a slant radiator might turn someone off since it would kind of be incorrect for the car.

I did find a couple aftermarket rads that would work.
This one seems like it might be too wide for mounting holes....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-cu1707

This one I am just unsure about because Ebay....
3 ROWS/CORES ALUMINUM RADIATOR FIT FOR 1970 1971 1972 Dodge Dart 5.2L V8 | eBay

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot for lower radiator hoses that should work. It's the kind with 1 end flared to fit over the water pump. Here's also a pic of 2 of the hoses.

As far as the upper hose you should be able to find something that works. Try Dayco #71281 (or whatever it cross references to). You might need to cut part of it off so it's shorter. You can cut radiator hoses shorter with a sharp knife or razor blade.

both2.jpg

screenshot.jpg

I run a champion 3 core radiator. It was like around 200 and is rated up to 800 hp. It bolted right into place aside from one bolt.

@kiss so basically those 2 hoses would be almost a perfect fit (length and shape wise) for the bottom? Some trimming possible of coarse.

For upper I was just going to use a flex hose so I won't have to deal with finding a good molded one that is close enough.

@kiss so basically those 2 hoses would be almost a perfect fit (length and shape wise) for the bottom? Some trimming possible of coarse.

For upper I was just going to use a flex hose so I won't have to deal with finding a good molded one that is close enough.
The 2 hoses in the pic I posted only have a slight difference. The screenshot are various part numbers for hoses that have a slight difference. Take any of those part numbers to your local auto parts store, have them cross reference it to whatever lower hose brand they carry, and then once you have it in-hand you can see if it will work for you. You might need to tell them multiple part numbers (thus the screenshot I posted) because even though they are nearly the same hose, they won't cross reference most of the time, due to the slight differences.

The 2 hoses in the pic I posted only have a slight difference. The screenshot are various part numbers for hoses that have a slight difference. Take any of those part numbers to your local auto parts store, have them cross reference it to whatever lower hose brand they carry, and then once you have it in-hand you can see if it will work for you. You might need to tell them multiple part numbers (thus the screenshot I posted) because even though they are nearly the same hose, they won't cross reference most of the time, due to the slight differences.

Yeah I ordered the Master Pro one from Oreilly, I'm glad that hose exists. Makes going from 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 less rigged up.

-
Back