slant manual tranny

-

barra340

Reaction score
I scored a free slant and manual trans. How do I know if the trans is any good without tearing it apart. It came out of a running truck but that is all I know. I am assuming they were all a three speed?

I scored a free slant and manual trans. How do I know if the trans is any good without tearing it apart. It came out of a running truck but that is all I know. I am assuming they were all a three speed?

The short answer is: " You don't "
You could shift through the gears while it's out but that wont tell you a lot.
You could install it and see if it works but that's way too much work to think about.
You could believe the guy that told you it was running but if I had a dollar for every time I heard that "it worked when I had it"....I digress

Wow, I'm full of good news :( sorry
What year truck? could be a 4-speed, are the shift levers pointing the same way or is one up and one down?

BTW, A slant with a manual trans is a lot of fun

If the truck was a column shift, it's a 3-speed. If a floor shift, a 3-speed has two operating rods between the shifter mechanism and the transmission, the 4-speed has three.

Obviously the 4-speed is golden. If the 4 position on the shift knob is green, then the transmission is probably an A833 OD. Think of it as a three speed overdrive and not quite as golden.

Don't know what year truck is donating the hardware. There are four potential 3-speed transmissions. Two are fully synchronized, two are not. The two that are not require that you come to a complete stop before engaging first gear. These are the A903 and A250. The two that are fully synchronized are the A230 and A390. 1st and 2nd gear ratios differ among the four transmissions.

The easiest way to tell them apart externally is that the A230 is a "sideloader", the others are "toploaders". The A390 and A230 speedometer drive is much closer to the gearbox than on the other two. The clamp holding the speedometer drive adapter is mounted more vertical on the all-synchro units where as it is more horizontal on the other two.

Hope this is helpful.

Not sure if you can check if it works the way it suppose to. I would overhaul it just to be safe.

Good score BTW

I do not have a need for it. I think it is a 3 speed. Was a column shift on the truck. if anyone is in need let me know. housing is there too.

-
Back