Slant oil filter canister question.

-

Blue62Val

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Can anyone give me some info on the old steel oil canisters, like the one fitted to my 61 Valiant. ?

I'm keeping the old canister as I'm doing the car original, but inside it there seems to be a thin spacer/gasket at the very bottom which is broken away.
Is that gasket absolutely necessary, and if so, how is it replaced ?
Please see the picture to get a better idea what I'm talking about and thanks in advance.

Peter

oil_filter.jpg

I wonder if that's not part of the old filter element stuck to the housing. @slantsixdan will know.

You know it's kind of funny old style cartridge filters went away in the early 60s and now their back in style on new cars. What's old is new again.

The listings on Ebay don't provide for this gasket - to my knowledge at least. I'm not even sure how I'd replace it.

What your looking for may be part of the oil pump body assembly. Go to mymopar and download the 1961 parts catalog. Go to group 10 page 10-4 of the illustration section. Then go to page 10-6 of the text section. Under the Valiant column see part number 1947221. Hope this helps.

Bad news, I'm afraid: that looks like the remains of the anti-drainback flap. If you turn the canister upside-down and look at the baseplate holes, you should find pliable rubber inside each one. I'm guessing you'll find nothing but metal and cooked bits of rubber.

You're looking for a new canister. Part № 2128 548 or 2128 876.

Bad news, I'm afraid: that looks like the remains of the anti-drainback flap. If you turn the canister upside-down and look at the baseplate holes, you should find pliable rubber inside each one. I'm guessing you'll find nothing but metal and cooked bits of rubber.

You're looking for a new canister. Part № 2128 548 or 2128 876.

Thanks a million Dan.
That's what I needed to know. An "anti drain back flap".....I had no idea what it was.

Peter

Question for slantsixdan. Searching on ebay for 2128548, there are 2 listings one for 24.95 and one for 25.00. Would one of these solve his problem. thanks

No. Those are wrong/sloppy listings for just the replacement filter elephant that lives inside the canister.

Last edited:
Great information. Dan you've been an invaluable educator to the Mopar community, since the days of Harry Aunes and Jack Poehler. THANKS AGAIN

-
Back