Slant six 170.

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
@valiantwagonguy @RustyRatRod or
Anyone else that may have info. Working on the 66 valiant (170, with a 3 speed on the column). Put the battery in the valiant from my dart and got the motor to spin over and run. This thing so so quiet, you can stand beside the motor and have a normal convo. But I noticed when I release the key the motor does every time. If I hold the key all the way to the right it will run. I noticed my uncle bypassed the ignition control box? Can’t remember the name where all the wires join but I’ll attach a pic. What would cause the issue? Looks like my uncle replaced the ignition trying to fix the issue but that didn’t work. Maybe a short somewhere?

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Box is the BulkHead Connector... Maybe a bad Ignition Switch or it only runs in Start Mode... There are 2 wires from ign Switch to the Coil,
One for Start and One to the Ballast Resistor for Run...
If it dies as soon as you stop cranking it, then Replace the Ballast Resistor.

Last edited:
That Box is the BulkHead Connector... Maybe a bad Ignition Switch or it only runs in Start Mode... There are 2 wires from ign Switch to the Coil,
One for Start and One to the Ballast Resistor for Run...
If it dies as soon as you stop cranking it, then Replace the Ballast Resistor.
Thanks man. I’ll give that a shot and make sure I’m getting power out of both sides of the wires.

Yeah, the Start Wire Just Bypasses the Ballast So you have Full Power to the Coil During a Cold Start.
You could possibly Jumper across the Ballast to see if it will stay running, don't do that for very long. (You can burn up your coil at full power all the time)

Yeah, the Start Wire Just Bypasses the Ballast So you have Full Power to the Coil During a Cold Start.
You could possibly Jumper across the Ballast to see if it will stay running, don't do that for very long. (You can burn up your coil at full power all the time)
I’ll probably just pick up a ballast they are cheap enough and no risk of burning anything up. I appreciate the why behind the science, if that makes sense. I suck at wiring, so definitely appreciate the ins and outs.

Yup bad ballast. It will run in the start position because it's getting a full 12v then, as designed. Once the key is released, it loses the signal because the ballast is bad. A new one will fix it.

You guys are awesome. Got the ballots on and fired right up. Can’t run for long becksse the gas tank is in the trunk and my aunt in GA has the key lol. Hopefully one of the keys she found will work. Picking up the truck key and the other half of a 66 valiant this weekend so should have some extra sheet metal in storage in case I need it. thanks for everyone’s help, y’all are awesome.

-
Back