Slant Six Build help needed

-

Baddogdaddy

73 Scamp
Reaction score
Hey all,

Let me tell you a bit about myself first then I'll get into my car. 20 years ago a close friend had to sell his baby, a 73 340 Duster to help out his parents. Through a wild set of circumstances I got ownership of the car about a year later. I gave him his car back as a Christmas gift. Last year for my 40th birthday he returned the favor by getting me a 73 scamp. I loved the 73 Duster and Dart so the Scamp is the mix of both I love. I have severe psoriatic arthritis which is destroying my joints and am running out of time to be able to work on her and drive her.

She is a 225 s/s in amazing condition. No rust or rot with 56K. the only upgrades are the steering, an offenhauser 4bbl with a Holley 650. I have always had v8's and always wanted to build a six. Im looking to get her to the point where she runs smooth and has a bit of get up and go. I just picked up a MSD blaster 2 coil, MSD wires, Plugs. I have to get an aftermarket ignition, a distributer, and switch over to an electric fuel pump. I'm thinking about getting a junkyard turbo. I just want a fun car to drive with great reliability. I'm not looking to get the power of an 8. I'm building the 6 because I've always wanted to and this is probably going to be my last chance.

any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Part numbers, links, I'll take whatever help I can get. money is not much of an issue, I'm not rich by far but put a bit aside to build her. Oh and I want to try to keep her on the road with as little down time as I can get.

Thanks all, it's appreciated!

Welcome to FABO! You mentioned turbo so I expect Bill Dedman will chime in soon lol!. In addition to the many slanters here, take a look over at slant6.org as well. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Welcome...It really depends on how much $$ you want spend and how far you want to tear into the internals. Better performance on a budget could be as simple as exhaust, and a 3.55 or 3.91 gear set. A Holley 390 would also be a better choice as you'll be over carbureted with the 650 unless your engine is highly modified. Also, a stock fuel pump is more than adequate for most engine builds...no need to go electric.
The /6 is no V8 and has limitations when it comes to making power...but with that being said, it's a bullet proof engine that can make respectable power when done right. Keep it simple, take your build one step at a time, and evaluate the results of your mods...you might find that a few simple mods go a long way.

Well, one thing you need to understand. If you build a slant, you do it for the love of it. If you expect V8 power, you may as well swap one in.

That said, there ARE some ways to build a powerful slant, but they can be costly and or may have a learning curve. People have build cheap turbo slants that run very well, but unless you know about turbos, there's your learning curve.

There have been a few go with blowers. Again, learning curve and cost. I myself was building what might have been a 300 HP naturally aspirated slant. But, life happened and I had to sell everything. I would had been able to build a very rowdy small block for what I would have had in that engine.

It all boils down to what you want and expect from your slant build. If you're doin it for the cool, then I say forge ahead. If for power, you may want to rethink it.

-
Back