Slant Six compatability

-

eh!body

Reaction score
I am selling off the 225 with autotrans attached out of my 75 Duster to help pay for the 440 install. I have a fella asking me if it will fit into a 66 Dart, and if it does, will he need the drive shaft reworked. The interchange manual that I have only encompasses 68-74. I suspect that the driveshaft may be an issue. Help please.

There might be a problem with the oil pan and oil pick-up. Oil pan will probably rub on the center link unless it's a V8 link (ask me how I know this). Check out this: http://u225.torque.net/cars/tech/SL6/oil_pans/oil_pans.html Might be able to shim the motor mounts to raise the motor if the center link is for a slant.

He is talking about a transmission not engine.

I think if you research it better that you will find the number of splines changed on the torque converter in 1968. As a complete unit with the convertor it will fit.

If a '68 or later slant-6 is used in front of a '67 or earlier automatic transmission, you must install a spacer ring to adapt the later large crank rear flange counterbore to the early small torque converter nose, or the transmission front pump bushing and seal will wear rapidly and there will be vibration problems.

To install the '75 engine into a '66 Dart, regardless of transmission selection, the '66 oil pan and pickup must be swapped onto the '75 engine, and the '66 engine mounts must be used.

No substantial transmission adaptation is necessary if the '75 transmission is used with the '75 engine; the driveshaft, '66 trans mount, '66 shift and kickdown linkage, and '66 speedo cable will all go right onto the '75 trans without a problem. The only point that will need addressing is the neutral safety switch, which is a single-pole switch in '66 (neutral safety only) but a 2-pole switch starting in '69 (neutral safety + reversing lamps). The '75 switch can be kept and just its centre pin connected to the one and only wire that will be present at this location on a '66 car.

-
Back