Slant six complete driveline swap

-

Dustey

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 73 duster that has a slant six in it but will be pulled out and getting replaced by a big block. I also have a 67 barracuda that has just been sitting, my buddies and I were wondering if the complete driveline from the duster (K member and suspension, engine, trans, driveshaft, springs, and rear end) would bolt up just fine? Any input would be great as I am having a hard time finding any info on slant six swaps as I am guessing they are not all that common hahaha.

It should all basically bolt in. Depending on the radiator sizes/opening sizes on each, a little finessing may be necessary. Trans linkages (you didn't say stick or automatic, I'll assume automatic) should swap, possibly may need a little creativity there, too; depending if column or floor shift. Or if they're both power or manual steering (the columns differ in length). It's all in the details, but the major assemblies just get unbolted from one and bolted into the other, at the risk of sounding oversimplified...

I do believe it will bolt in, but know you are talking about two distinctly different k members. One is for the earlier biscuit style mounts and the other is the 73 and up spool mounts. There are also other differences you may have to work around.

It should all basically bolt in. Depending on the radiator sizes/opening sizes on each, a little finessing may be necessary. Trans linkages (you didn't say stick or automatic, I'll assume automatic) should swap, possibly may need a little creativity there, too; depending if column or floor shift. Or if they're both power or manual steering (the columns differ in length). It's all in the details, but the major assemblies just get unbolted from one and bolted into the other, at the risk of sounding oversimplified...

Thank you, yeah it’s an automatic sorry, both 904s. Only difference is the duster is column shifted and barracuda is floor shifted but seeing as they are both 904s would it work with the already existing floor shift linkage? My biggest concern is the driveshaft, do you think it would work fine?

I do believe it will bolt in, but know you are talking about two distinctly different k members. One is for the earlier biscuit style mounts and the other is the 73 and up spool mounts. There are also other differences you may have to work around.

Thank you for the insight. Is there any major differences I should be concerned about? I heard that the spool mounts are stronger? If I’m swapping the whole K member does it matter?

Thank you for the insight. Is there any major differences I should be concerned about? I heard that the spool mounts are stronger? If I’m swapping the whole K member does it matter?

That's all I can think of.......I'm sure there are some other smaller differences. @Jim Lusk would be a good help.

Thank you, yeah it’s an automatic sorry, both 904s. Only difference is the duster is column shifted and barracuda is floor shifted but seeing as they are both 904s would it work with the already existing floor shift linkage? My biggest concern is the driveshaft, do you think it would work fine?

Eyeball it- make sure the trans has the mounting bosses for the floor shift linkage- it should. Then just swap ALL the floor shift linkage/arms/brackets over to the new trans. Driveshaft should be fine- they're both 108" wheelbase.

-
Back