Slant Six Distributor Won't Budge!

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
So yesterday I wanted to check the timing on my motor. I heated up the engine, and while it was running, loosened the nut holding down the distributor hooked up my timing light and I could not get the distributor to budge.
I even reached down with both hands, I thought I would break the cap off - and got zapped once to boot!
:shaking2:
HELP! Any suggestions? I NEVER encountered this before.

Is it all dirty and cruddy back there? maybe the clamp and dis base are trying to turn together and the bolt thru the clamp is holding it all up.

After all the years of not moving, the O-ring is stuck. Clean around the block as best you can.Leave the clamp loose and apply a good spray of penatrant and let sit over night if you can.Give it a few lite taps(hard to do on a slant) the next day and it should move.Kinda tight with the oil filter,fuel lines,cap wires etc all on that side.

I know it wont help you, but, I had an aluminum slant six I picked up and dude had BROKEN the shaft off in the mount hole! I agree with the other comments, clean it, lubricate it and give it a couple of taps! Good luck!

The slant six has an additional bolt on the underside of the distributor. Very hard to access. I think it is also 7/16"

The slant six has an additional bolt on the underside of the distributor. Very hard to access. I think it is also 7/16"

Yep. But for additional adjustment. I like the soaking idea.

Attachments

• slant dist bolt.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 349
Well, I learned something new today. So that bolt also needs to be loosened to adjust the timing / move the distributor?

Not really,clamp that goes to the block,normal adjustment.BUT if needed that will give you more(or less) to dial your perfered timing in. As they say"Learn something new everyday".....

Yup, my 63 slant wouldn't run right until we took out the distributor and readjusted the plate underneath as posted in OldmanRick's photo. Patience is the key word when doing this operation.

-
Back