slant six head gasket help!!

-

The Skunk

Reaction score
Alright so iv got a 1972 dodge dart, 225 slant six.
Im replacing the head gasket and have the head off (done correctly) but my question is how/should I clean the head, block surface, and combustion chambers? the head still has the valves in it. push rods are out and so are the rocker arms.
Iv never done a head gasket change on a vehicle that's been "used"...
I know what to do just making sure nothings different sense the engine I did it on in shop class was a Izuzu v6 straight from the factory with no miles or dirt...:wack:
thanks

Compressed air will be your friend. Just be wary of the coolant passages,stuff rags in the bores etc...Then use a gasket scraper for the big stuff, and very fine sand paper for the rest. The goal here is just to clean everything up without removing any metal from the surface. Use compressed air to blow everything out,and a paper towel(no lint/fibers like a regular towel) to wipe it all down. Make sure you use the correct torque sequence, and you are good to go!

Also forgot to mention, when using the scraper be extra careful not to scar either of the surfaces. Its easy to get carried away trying to get it done fast,and a slip of the hand is all it takes to warrant a trip to the machine shop. Don't ask me how I know:banghead:

take it to our local car wash and get a can of gunk (I like the gunk that fomes up) sook the hell out of it be for you go so it soks in good and then spray the hell out of it.be sure to get in close and were water proof boots because you will get wet.the usuly come out preety good.and if you have an air source blow it dri.and then get a peace of 80 grit sand paper and go over all the serfeces then blow it again then I use carb clener or brake ceaner and hose them down good then blow and wipe it should be ready to put together...hope this helps.......Artie Oya and you mit whant to clean your mess at the car wash.with any gunk you have left:violent1::violent1:

Alrighty thanks guys!!
One quick question tho I saw in the link posted to use sealer do you guys recommend that or??

Just gotta say, I prefer using scotchbrite over sand paper as its less aggressive.

I did the red High temp on the one edge as DD recommends. Depends on the gasket if you need anything else. I was going to use spray copper , but the gasket i got was a 'no sealant' type and sealant was already printed on it.

Scotchbrite(Green Scrubby)is the way to go for clean up. I used a printed sealant gasket also, and I have had no leaks or issues. The steel felpros are the ones that need a little RTV!

For all headgaskets, whether they be for petrol or diesel, composite type, or MLS type, I use ACL Hylomar gasket compound in a spray pack.
Has always worked for me.
I use paint thinner for the final wipe down of the head and block...no residue then.
Pics are before and after cleaning.

Attachments

• IMGP0722_resize.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMGP0732_resize.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 308
-
Back