Slant six intake/carb question.

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m hoping to finally have my 66 valiant in my name soon ( dmv needs to see the vehicle running to START the process of getting a title in my name since one does not exist). I’ve rebuild the carb and it runs but not great. Can I stick a newer style carb ( not the twisty throttle kind) on the existing manifold? Or do I need to replace the manifold as well? I know I’ve got to replace the throttle and linkage and I’ll purchase those as soon as I know I can the car registered in my name. Thanks for the help guys. FYI it’s a 66 valiant, 170 slant six with a 3 speed manual.

Was the car running previously, and of so how well? If you are just getting it going, and you did a good rebuild job on the carb - and also assuming it's in decent shape - the rest should be tuning issues. It should run fine with a rebuilt carb, all other things also working out. And i agree with 66fs, there's no reason to swap out the manifold.

Was the car running previously, and of so how well? If you are just getting it going, and you did a good rebuild job on the carb - and also assuming it's in decent shape - the rest should be tuning issues. It should run fine with a rebuilt carb, all other things also working out. And i agree with 66fs, there's no reason to swap out the manifold.
The car would idle when I first got it. I replace the brake lines and I couldn’t get it to fire off after it sat for a few months. I rebuilt the carb and it fires off great and idles fine. I can drive it a short amount of time but when it gets warm it will die and keep dying when I give it any amount of gas. When it’s cold it runs great. I plan on doing a complete rebuild after the cars in my name. I just hate to put too much money into it until I know it’s mine haha.

Are you getting good fuel supply from the fuel pump?

Are you getting good fuel supply from the fuel pump?
Yes sir. I actually replaced the tank, fuel sending unit, fuel lines, fuel pump twice ( first time was a bad pump), then replaced the fuel line from the pump to the carb and installed a clear filter. Everything fuel related was replace except cat, it was rebuilt. Also replaced brake lines and sealed to a duel reservoir master cylinder. I changed out the distributor to an electronic unit. I can not fire it off for weeks, walk out there and then the key and working 3 or 4 revolutions it will fire off and idle for a round 10 min. I can drive it around while it’s running good but when it gets warm I touch the throttle it just dies. I’ve got it running good enough to take to the dmv and drive around their parking lot for them to start the process of issuing me a “ for road use title”.

I know it can be repaired but I just have no love whatsoever for the Holleys used on slant sixes. I much prefer the Carter BBS or BBD.

I know it can be repaired but I just have no love whatsoever for the Holleys used on slant sixes. I much prefer the Carter BBS or BBD.
Yeah I’d really like to move from the holly. I think it’s much easier to find the newer style carb rather than the twisty style carb. But that’s just based off the limited research I’ve done.

Yeah I’d really like to move from the holly. I think it’s much easier to find the newer style carb rather than the twisty style carb. But that’s just based off the limited research I’ve done.
Millions of Carter BBS carburetors were twisty. lol I have one. No you caint have it. lol

The little Holleys are junk. The accelerator pump parts are unobtainable. The BBS is the carb you want if you can find one. You could possibly adapt just about any single barrel carb. The BBD is a two barrel that would require a rare two barrel manifold.

The little Holleys are junk. The accelerator pump parts are unobtainable. The BBS is the carb you want if you can find one. You could possibly adapt just about any single barrel carb. The BBD is a two barrel that would require a rare two barrel manifold.
Thanks for the reply. I had a super six when I was in high school. Back then they were a dime a dozen haha. I bought a 1979 aspen for a 100 bucks when I was 17, pulled the motor and trans and gave the rest of the car away.

The original Holley is a 1920. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Find tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.

The original Holley is a 1920. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Find tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.
Thanks for the links Dan. I appreciate your input and have gotten a ton of info from your prior posts and threads.

-
Back