Slant six over heated and now will not keep an idle.

-

1975ValiantDuster

Reaction score
A few days ago I was in a pinch and running late to work I had no other option but to take my 67 valiant to work about a 20 minute drive on the free way. It over heated getting there, after work it was cooled off but when I started it, it would no longer keep an idle. It die's out as soon as it can. I thought it was the alternator being that I knew it was old and worn out bought a newly rebuilt one today from Penny pincher here in phx. Installed it but still no idol. If any one thinks they know the solution please let me know. Slant six car one barrel carb

Is your temperature gauge working? What was it reading? What was your Overheat symptom. Perhaps it was a heat soak condition, I had the same issue in my car when my slant was a daily driver. I'd go to work, and then in the afternoon the car would have a REAL hard time starting up. Nowadays I blame it on the ethnanol gas that boils like a tea kettle in our carburetors. Check out the Fuel Line Mod Here: Slant Six Forum, :: View topic - Fuel Line Mod Improves Starting & Driveability

This may help your hot start issue. Otherwise if you think its a warped head, do a compression test for each cylinder. A classic sign of a warped head is burning coolant or air bubbles in your radiator.

It hold antifreeze, it starts the problem isn't it not starting it's that it turns off as soon as I start it and to keep it on I need to give it more gas. I just recently got another problem though the red ignition wire melted under the hood. I was told today that the carb might need to be cleaned so I'm going to do that first then I'll keep you guys posted or I might leave it that way because very soon I'll be swapping it out with a 318

1967-plymouth-valiant-base-37l-3.jpg

Wait a minute, what amperage is your new alternator? Stock alternator was I believe 35 Amps, anything over on a stock wiring harness and you'll have all types of problems. Can you attach a picture or tell me exactly what red wire melted? Carb Repair is really simple for a one barrel. Download or buy a factory service manual to give you instructions for servicing the entire car.

Your best bet is to go to a junkyard or a "You Pull It" and see if they have a harness there. If it were any other car with a V8 then you could buy them new. They don't make a whole lot of stock wiring for the slants. You could try to make your own, or use a voltmeter to test the continuity of each wire and replace the toasted ones.

AND! Make sure to clean all those contacts on the bulkhead connectors. Old Mopars are notorious for issues here. I'd take a light copper brush and gently remove any corrosion on both sides. Then take some dielectric grease to keep dust and moisture out. That big fat red wire was probably the wire going to your ammeter. On stock harnesses it goes through the bulkhead connector with a fusible link to protect the wiring. The fusible link is designed to blow before anything else. They make new ones too! Perhaps all you may need to replace is that wire. Personally I like to make sure everything is clean and stock to everything else under the hood. Best of luck.

-
Back