Slant six paint recommendation, for whatever its worth.

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hello MoBros and MoSisters: I hope all is well with you and your slanty. This is pretty minor, but I thought I'd forward anyway. I recently removed and painted the engine in my 1974 Duster, and here's what I learned about the paint. I did a lot of research as to what the most correct and original engine paint would be, and I settled on Bill Hirsch Chrysler Blue 1973 - 1983. Like anything, you never really know how it will come out until you actually do it. But I'm really happy with the result, and wanted to offer my recommendation for this product. In the two photos below, I show a factory original PCV valve with its original paint still on it, installed in the valve cover of my slanty. As you can see, the paint match between the PCV valve (which was painted in 1974) and the Bill Hirsch paint on my valve cover (which was painted in late 2022) is nearly identical. It seems a bit off in the photos due to the lighting, but it looks really good in person. I know the debate rages between this stuff, Dupli-Color, Ford Blue, etc. but you might be able to save some time by just going with this. My two cents worth and no, I don't work for them. Trying to help out, that's all. Their number is 800 828-2061. By the way, my slanty is purring like a kitten, but I think I'll treat her to a valve lash adjustment anyway. Happy motoring!

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning on trying the bill Hirsch paint next time I have the chance. I am a big believer in most POR 15 products as they work well for me. My exp is that they are very durable and do as advertised.
But I will never waste the money on their engine paint again. I did so once. It didn't cover worth crap. I ended up recoating with a duplicolor spray can. Which as of the last few years ghas missed badly on the "Mopar blue".

Glad to see and hear about your results. The 198 in my 1974 Duster was painted using this great product and I am thoroughly satified with the results. Good Job from this Mobro!

Good info!

Something to consider though is, any paint over time, when combined with heat and chemicals (oil, coolant, ATF, fuel) will fade. Finding a paint that is the same colour as what was shot 49 years ago and after 49 years of heat cycles and maintenance is an accomplishment though.

Will you be painting the grommet?
No, but I considered it when painting the motor. I know that both grommets (oil breather and PCV valve) were originally painted by the factory, so my engine restoration is inaccurate in that regard. I just thought both grommets looked better unpainted. Point well taken, though.

Glad to see and hear about your results. The 198 in my 1974 Duster was painted using this great product and I am thoroughly satified with the results. Good Job from this Mobro!
Thanks. How about posting some photos of your 198? Seems like that motor was somewhat rare in the 1974 Duster as most came with the 225.

I don't see where anything would look any different between a 198 and a 225 in any given car.
And so you know those grommets are still available at the local stealership.
And cheaper than most I saw on feebay, seems like folks there must think they're solid gold.
I'd been able to find one of them in the dorman line, but not the other, as well. More money there than an original. Seems I paid $5. Something for one or the other and around $8/ea for the other. I bought 5/each about a year ago since they fit all of the older mopars of the 70s and well into the 80s. Between my kid and me we have plenty of 70s and 80s stuff. So they'll get used.

Just try to remove one intact that's been in your valve cover for 35+ years and put it back in...they're rock hard.

Thanks. How about posting some photos of your 198? Seems like that motor was somewhat rare in the 1974 Duster as most came with the 225.
1974 was the last year for the 198. ( sweet running engine by the way )...mine has manual disc brakes and power steering and it's Golden Fawn....I will post some pics.

I don't see where anything would look any different between a 198 and a 225 in any given car.
And so you know those grommets are still available at the local stealership.
And cheaper than most I saw on feebay, seems like folks there must think they're solid gold.
I'd been able to find one of them in the dorman line, but not the other, as well. More money there than an original. Seems I paid $5. Something for one or the other and around $8/ea for the other. I bought 5/each about a year ago since they fit all of the older mopars of the 70s and well into the 80s. Between my kid and me we have plenty of 70s and 80s stuff. So they'll get used.
You'd need x-ray vision to tell the difference between the 198 and 225....LOL

-
Back