[WANTED] Slant Six Saginaw Keyed and Nutted Pulley

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Saginaw pulley from 440 Source -- check and see if they have what you need.

I bought a Saginaw pulley from 440 Source -- check and see if they have what you need.
I wouldn't mind getting a new one. I just wasn't sure if there was a special offset of pulley for the slant six. Do all the Mopar power steering pumps use the same pulley besides being press fit vs keyed?

I called 440 Source and they said the Saginaw pulley they have that is keyed won't work with a slant six. They said belt alignment will be off. I'm trying to find something to use on the pump that Peter Bergman sells for use with the Borgeson gearbox. The pump is rated for 1200-1350 PSI with a 2.7-3.5 GPM Flow Rate. Is there a pump with pressure settings close to that for a V8 that would fit the slant with the slant's brackets?

That's funny, because I'm running that pulley on my slant six. There was a tiny misalignment, but it wasn't the pulley -- the used brackets I got seemed to be slightly tweaked. I had to put a washer under two of the mounting bolts (into the block) to even it out. I also have a Borgeson box, but the Saginaw pump was new from Classic Industries, IIRC.

You can adjust the output pressure of the Saginaw pumps by playing with the washer packs. I have an article by Ehrenberg describing this. Link: Dropbox - Power steering mods_PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

I called 440 Source and they said the Saginaw pulley they have that is keyed won't work with a slant six. They said belt alignment will be off. I'm trying to find something to use on the pump that Peter Bergman sells for use with the Borgeson gearbox. The pump is rated for 1200-1350 PSI with a 2.7-3.5 GPM Flow Rate. Is there a pump with pressure settings close to that for a V8 that would fit the slant with the slant's brackets?

BTW, one of the things on my to-do list is to remove a washer from my pump to raise the pressure, based on Borgeson's spec. I believe mine is running the slant six pressure of 800-900lbs. But I don't think the Saginaw pumps are any different physically for 6s or 8s -- they are just set to different pressures, with (possibly) different pulleys, but they would all bolt up to either bracket.

I was digging around for my old 7.25 rear end to put under the explorer I'm pulling an 8.8 out of just to keep it rolling and I found a pile of parts that came with the car that I dumped behind the shed in 2004. There was a Saginaw pump and brackets along with the power steering box! I still need to see if it fits but my search may be over. It even had a bolt on pulley. They were all parts the previous owner collected but never installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back