Slant six to 360 engine swap list?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi guys,
IT IS TIME!!! I am finally taking the plunge. Swapping out my 225 slant six engine for a 360 V8 engine. I have some parts to acquire first obviously. I want to know if there are any parts that I am missing? I have a small block V8 K frame already in in my 1971 dodge dart car. I know I'll need a new wire harness for the engine bay(I have no idea where to get this by the way). I have a 360 v8 drivetrain complete from engine to transmission out of a 1977 dodge van. I know I'll need a new fuel line and sending unit. I don't really know exactly what else I'll need... Can you guys help me create a list of parts for this project? Any information is very much appreciated.
:burnout::violent1:

you dont need new wiring. you are going to need a car pan and pick up. you dont say if this is a 727 or 904. you will need headers or manifolds, the engine mount brackets, a v8 radiator. why would you need a new fuel line and sending unit? so someone put a 6 cylinder into a v8 k frame? you will need a matching distributor for your ignition whether its points or EI

The car originally had a slant six in it. I think someone put a v8 k frame in as an after thought and never put a v8 in. I have stock exhaust manifolds already. The 360 is hooked up to a 727 transmission.

I thought I'd need a new fuel line and sending unit because it is originally for a slant six engine and therefore smaller diameter.....right?

What about beefing up the torsion bars and suspension, or replacing my stock 7&1/4 rear end?

Thanks.

do you have the /6 driveshaft? if so, you can use it but you will need the yoke from the 727 and you will have to take 4 inches out of it. if you plan on abusing this car in any way you will want upgrade the rear end, brakes etc. the fuel system is plenty fine for the V8. i am still running all my /6 suspension and it works just fine. this car is my daily driver and i drive it normally with no problems. if you search for /6 to 318/360 swap there are tons of threads about this.

Oh yeah and to answer your question, yes I have a slant six driveshaft. I already have frot disc brakes. I was just worried about tue extra HP that'll be going through the rear end. But if it works for you, then I'll try it out like that first. Thanks.

Oh yeah and to answer your question, yes I have a slant six driveshaft. I already have frot disc brakes. I was just worried about tue extra HP that'll be going through the rear end. But if it works for you, then I'll try it out like that first. Thanks.
if you go easy on the 7 1/4 it will live. you may want to seek out an 8 1/4 before they reach 8 3/4 prices.

id get a bigger rear because on my first v8 swap the 7 1/4 rear lasted me about a mouth haha. if you have disc in the front i wouldn't worry putting disc in the rear just a bigger rear. and what exhaust manifolds do you have? the van ones wont work in your car. you need car ones. and for the distributor, if your keeping the car ignition stock, id go to the parts shop and get a distributor for a 71 dart with a v8 in it.

Oh good to know about the exhaust manifolds. I'll get another distributor and rear end. Thanks.

Oh wow. Very crazy about the fuel line. You'd think they would have altered it a little bit to feed such a monster. Thanks for the info everyone. All the tips are really helping me learn before I screw it all up. Haha...

you may want to make sure the 727 is 35" long to work with your car. some truck and van 727s have different tailshafts. dont forget you will need a 360 car oil pan and pickup. and get the 727 yoke off the driveshaft, and the trans lines

I have a 35" 727 just measured it. I also already have the yolk from the 727. Does anyone know where I can look for the correct oil pan, oil pickup, transmission lines, and exhaust manifolds for this project? Thanks!

Oh another question.... Will I have to extend any of the existing slant six wire harness in order to reach the 360 engine sensors?

Oh another question.... Will I have to extend any of the existing slant six wire harness in order to reach the 360 engine sensors?

sensors? or temp sender ? all my wiring was plug and play with electronic ignition.

im sure if you run a want add for the pan, pick-up and trans lines someone can hook you up

i just saw an add for manifolds for sale for 95 bucks

Sensors is what I was referring in the above question. Am I going to need a new trans mount bar?

your 77 360 does not have sensors, only water temp and oil pressure senders. trans mount is the same. you will need the pre 73 biscuit style rubber mount.
just to re-cap for you

360 car engine mount brackets and pre 73 rubber mounts
pre 73 rubber trans mount
you will need to take 4" out of your /6 driveshaft for the 727 + the yoke
small block car manifolds or headers
360 car oil pan/pickup
V8 radiator/fan shroud and trans lines
compatable distributor for your ignition system
shifter linkage
you may need a shorter fan spacer depending on whats on your 360
compatable oil pressure sender for gauge or dummy light
i am using my /6 throttle cable but the V8 cables are around, they are shorter.
make sure you have the correct alternator for your wiring (single wire or 2 wire)

i got my radiator/shroud out of an 86 diplomat

should you decide to switch to an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 down the road, you will need to shorten the driveshaft even more or locate the correct one.

if you plan on adding long tube headers, now is the time to do it

i may have extended my water temp sender wire, i dont recall now.

all my other wiring plugged right in.

i dont know if truck/van 360 kickdown will work, i think it is the same for the passenger cars if i recall.

Thanks again! Already working on that list. I'll get this one running and let you guys know of all my trials and tribulatiowheeling the way. Ha! Man what would I do without my abode mopar fans?

you can get an oil and pickup from summitracing or somebody from here will probably have one laying around. same with the manifolds somebody will probably have some laying around. your stock slant six tranny mount will work. if you get a bigger rear-end, you might have to get a shorter driveshaft. i know i needed a 2inch shorter one when i put the 8.25 rear from a duster 340 in. get an alternator for the year of the car. the tranny lines you can get off summit http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ine-Size/5-9L-360/?keyword=transmission+lines or off ebay. for the kickdown go with the Lokar Hi-Tech Kickdown Kit. it is so much easier http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-KD-2727HT/

I got a 650 cfm avs Carter four barrel carburetor with a street master intake manifold made by edelbrock, I got the stock exhaust manifolds also. I'm still looking for an oil pan locally. If I have no luck, then I guess I'll have no choice but to buy a new one from sumittracing or ask outside the northern california area.

Why is my intake garbage? can you tell me what is wrong with it and also what I can replace it with to have a better setup?

That street master intake is garbage. What are you running for tranny lines?

Why is my intake garbage? can you tell me what is wrong with it and also what I can replace it with to have a better setup?

The Edelbrock street master intake is an old design, its a single plane intake with 318 sized ports. So, it won't flow as much or as well as one of the new Air Gap manifolds.

BUT, its a GREAT intake for a stock 318. The ports actually match 318 heads, unlike all of the new intakes, including the plain old performer intake, which have 360 sized intake ports. Using one of those on a stock 318 will lead to a huge step at the intake/head, with a sharp edge and everything. Probably one of the worst things you can do for flow.

So for a 318 its a great intake if you don't want to port the heads, so its perfect for 2 to 4 barrel swaps. For a 360, you'd be much better off with a Performer or Air Gap. Although having the ports go from small to large is better than having them go from large to small, you'll still be restricting your 360. Sell the Street Master to a guy with a 318 and buy a 360 manifold :thumbup:

-
Back