slant six tranny swaps

-
Reaction score
so I have a 1974 Gold Duster original slant six auto I want to make it a 4 speed floor shift just to use as a daily driver. There is a 1964 or 1965 valiant slant six 3 on the tree at a junk yard near my house that I could easily use for parts. my question is which parts will fit and which parts wont I have an a 833 od 4 speed and the pedals i would like to use as much of this car as i can since it is very available to part out. also will i need to change the carb going from auto to manual? thank you

if you already have the pedals and the 4spd just grab the z-bar and associated linkages and the ball studs that hold the zbar. you wont have to change the carb.

Pretty sure the only thing from the 64-65 that will fit is nothing. Flywheel has the small crank pilot hole (74 crank has large pilot). Bellhousing has wrong bolt pattern and trans pilot hole. Pedals assy is different. Don't know for sure about the "Z" bar, but I think that is different, also, as the width of the body changed.

Thank you Charrlie_S , this has been brought up a few times FrankenDuster74 , and as
Charrlie_S said these earl A's are a pain to swap to an automatic or convert to a 3, 4 speed with out changing to a 67 up /6 parts, I have learned allot from Charrlie_S and he saved me allot of time and cash with his wisdom

i'm like charrlies, I believe nothing fits. one person that deals with this everyday as a business is wayne brewer in oh. look up brewer perf on internet. I real nice guy. I believe you really need donor car of the duster vintage. I say pull all the early a parts for trading material.. wayne is great source for all parts, but especially for the many little parts needed too. and yea it costs $$ to shift on your own!!!! remember you will pick up what? 25% better mileage too. LOL good luck

-
Back