Slant six trouble shooting

-

Big Green Duster

Reaction score
Its a long read but i tried to make it short without removing important details.

I have a 72 duster 225 automatic with A/C stock igntion system and holley 1920. I had the car off the road for a few months and redid my steering system and fuel system new fuel tank, sending unit, fuel lines, fuel filters, fuel pump. Once i got the car back together it would idle fine but then die in gear. I replaced the ignition coil because after removing it there was water inside. The car ran good a couple of days then when i was out it would stall then start again, then went back to dying in gear. I turned the idle up enough to keep the car ruining in gear but if i took my foot of the gas it would stall. I got the car running enough to make it to my mechanic. He set the timming, rpm and did a full tune up replaced the intake gasket due to a leak and had the carb rebuilt and said the car was doing much better. When i picked the car up it seemed like it was running better but the idle sounded too low to me ( I couldn't hear it running when sitting still in traffic or stopped at lights even with the radio off). The car ran good a few days until i tried to take it out the next day i just kept stalling when sitting still like before and it would start up again after awhile. Until one day when sitting at home letting it idle it backfired out the exhaust and then shut off and hasn't started since. But still cranks.

I understand the backfire was probably due to it needing a valve adjustment. And that I also need to check for vaccum leaks. But the car wont start anymore so I can't fix those issues yet as far as I know. I just need to get the car to run right now and then fix my other problems.

The ignition coil, ballast resistor, and battery along with cables i tested are all good.
Could I have a fuel vent issue or bulkhead connector issue?

Its a long read but i tried to make it short without removing important details.

I have a 72 duster 225 automatic with A/C stock igntion system and holley 1920. I had the car off the road for a few months and redid my steering system and fuel system new fuel tank, sending unit, fuel lines, fuel filters, fuel pump. Once i got the car back together it would idle fine but then die in gear. I replaced the ignition coil because after removing it there was water inside. The car ran good a couple of days then when i was out it would stall then start again, then went back to dying in gear. I turned the idle up enough to keep the car ruining in gear but if i took my foot of the gas it would stall. I got the car running enough to make it to my mechanic. He set the timming, rpm and did a full tune up replaced the intake gasket due to a leak and had the carb rebuilt and said the car was doing much better. When i picked the car up it seemed like it was running better but the idle sounded too low to me ( I couldn't hear it running when sitting still in traffic or stopped at lights even with the radio off). The car ran good a few days until i tried to take it out the next day i just kept stalling when sitting still like before and it would start up again after awhile. Until one day when sitting at home letting it idle it backfired out the exhaust and then shut off and hasn't started since. But still cranks.

I understand the backfire was probably due to it needing a valve adjustment. And that I also need to check for vaccum leaks. But the car wont start anymore so I can't fix those issues yet as far as I know. I just need to get the car to run right now and then fix my other problems.

The ignition coil, ballast resistor, and battery along with cables i tested are all good.
Could I have a fuel vent issue or bulkhead connector issue?
Use a timing light and verify that
there is spark from the # 1 plug and it is happening a few degrees ahead of TDC.
If you don’t have spark or it is out of time, address that.
If there is spark and it is occurring about the correct time, try to get the engine to fire by spraying ether-starting fluid into the air cleaner, if it fires you still have a fuel delivery issue.

-
Back