Slant Six truck bellhousing fit a 71Swinger?

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all I have tried researching this but cant find any answers. The 904 in my 71 slant six Swinger is on its way out. Im going to swap in an OD trans. I have the OD trans,shifter,z bar and linkage. I may have a pedal set up not sure yet the trouble is the bellhousing. I cant find an OD bellhousing from a car anywhere. I did find an OD bellhousing for a Dodge truck will this fit in my Swinger? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks alot Ken :burnout:

I put one in my 62 valiant without any problems and the trans tunnel and engine bay are smaller then a 71 so I'd like to think you wouldn't have a problem although I was running a hyd clutch
Just my experience

I put one in my 62 valiant without any problems and the trans tunnel and engine bay are smaller then a 71 so I'd like to think you wouldn't have a problem although I was running a hyd clutch
Just my experience

Use the truck bell it will work.
Check out brewers web site for any addition parts you may need.

I think the starter sits lower in a truck bell housing, you may have trouble with your exhaust clearance & your ptiman arm may graze your starter in lock to lock turns.

I'm sure thats possible, I know the starter position is lower on early to mid 70's pick ups, you may have a later model

There is no way the starter on a od bell is going to hit anything.

1000205l.jpg

Check '74-75 dodge pick up bell housing, the starter mount is lower than on passenger cars.

Sorry I'm thinking 3 speed pick up bell housing

I know where you are thinking.
There are only about 3 different bells used in the 70's on slants.
The one I have in the picture is correct for any od 833 trans.

To set the OP straight to avoid confusion there are three basic bolt patterns for tranny to bell on mopar trucks in the early 70's to mid 80's.
All are different and will not interchange, but I have seen a few 435 trans bells have the 230 pattern when used in 4x4 applications.

3-speed to A-230 trans
4-speed to NP-435 trans
4-speed to 833 OD

The one I am looking for is the 833OD bell. Does any one have a slant six OD bell, the one I was buying was sold out from under me. It was at a local junk yard that pulls the parts for you. The part that really tweaks my melons is I had to put a depsoit down on it so they would pull it. I go back to pick it up and they sold it to someone eles. If anyone has a spare bell I may be interested in it, can buy it out right or if your looking for parts maybe we can work out a trade. Thanks Ken

-
Back