Slant Six vs. Small block ignition questions

-

65s

Reaction score
I want to convert the slant 6 in my van to electronic Ignition.

Can I use a V8 igntion module box? What about a coil, can I use a V8 coil and ballast resistor? Are they the same thing?

Yes the control module, coil, ballast resistor are the same between \6 and v8, even the pick-up inside the distributor is the same.

Alternatively, if you can stomach putting a GM part on, you can put in the electronic dizzy and then use a GM HEI module to run everything. Gets rid of the ballast resistor all together. Make sure to use a non ballast resistor dependant coil. I used an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

http://duster.netfirms.com/tech/hei.html

Awesome! I was pretty sure the coil and ballast were the same, wasn't sure about the box. I've got some V8 stuff here so all I need is the wiring harness and I'm good to go (already have a /6 electronic distributor too). I was about to spend some money on the parts, but now I can just use the stuff I have with this little bit of information. I've never owned a slant 6 until the other day....looking forward to learning about it. Thanks a lot guys.

Alternatively, if you can stomach putting a GM part on, you can put in the electronic dizzy and then use a GM HEI module to run everything. Gets rid of the ballast resistor all together. Make sure to use a non ballast resistor dependant coil. I used an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

http://duster.netfirms.com/tech/hei.html

Contrary to all the internet info if you use the GM HEI module with a stock coil or a coil that is designed to be used with a Ballast resistor (like a MSD Blaster II) you still need the ballast resistor or you will run the chance of premature failure of the coil due to over heating.

The GM system used a coil that is designed to work without a ballast resistor. If you purchase a coil that does not need a ballast you can use it with either a GM or mopar module without the ballast resistor.

-
Back