slanty or 318

which is more econimical a Slanty or 318

• Slant six

Votes: 102 61.1%

Votes: 65 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Maybe I missed it but do you have the correct Bellhousings,flywheel etc. For Both a slant and the V8? The choise would be dependent on if All parts are there to do one or the other.(I'm cheap and would take the most inexpensive route) !

Ditto, and what K member is in the car now? I choose the easiest route and spend money on refreshing and/or upgrading the suspension, brakes and tires.

Ditto, and what K member is in the car now? I choose the easiest route and spend money on refreshing and/or upgrading the suspension, brakes and tires.

right now the car is a blank car ...meaning i have either K frame, either bell ....everything to put either one together.

either way it will has manual disk brakes and manual steering and a 7 1/4 rear

that setup just calls for 318 loudly, car has discs it may have came with a v8 from factory.

if so puttin a slant in would be like cuttin half its D%$K off

that setup just calls for 318 loudly, car has discs it may have came with a v8 from factory.

it was actually originally a 273 car ....but when i got it, it never had an engine or trans.....i put the discs on it ...they are later 73+ setup.

it does have a V8 K-frame in it now but thats really no big deal ...i can swap a K-frame in less than an hour :pirat:

it was actually originally a 273 car ....but when i got it, it never had an engine or trans.....i put the discs on it ...they are later 73+ setup.

it does have a V8 K-frame in it now but thats really no big deal ...i can swap a K-frame in less than an hour :pirat:

If it has a V8 K and torsion bars and is a V8 car then go V8.

Rani go with the V8, and have her help you build the car it will b fun for you two. Also like another list member said, the V8 will be more forgiving in the clutch department. I had an 81 dodge ram 150 slant six with A833 od gearbox. This thing was a dog. Had to keep the rpms up and slip the clutch hard to keep it from wanting to stall. There could have been a problem with the clutch , flywheel or presure plate making me have to drive it this way, but for me it was sucky.

I have owned a few slants in the day. All my other ones were with automatic transmissions. Slant with automatic would make a better learner car, then go V8 stick shift later.

Just my .02
Matt.

i really cant believe the overwhelming support for the slanty

as of my writing this we were at: slanty =49 and 318 =31

there are more slanty fans than i thought ....these polls are interesting bcoz you never know which way its going to go.

to be a good sport .......when the poll closes i really am going to go with the winner of the poll.

its win win for me bcoz both engines are what i call the products of good engineering and why we all like these Chrysler products over other Detroit offerings of the same era.

my sister is now watching this Poll ....she dont really know the difference yet but i told her this is FABO fun. and she is aware that either engine is a fine choice that even i would drive myself, which is why i am on the fence and needed an helpful opinion as to which one to go with LOL

Thanks for all who Voted ...you keep FABO fun :cheers:

Have had both slant with stick and v8 auto in a body. Both did about the same on mileage open road about 20 mpg, around town the 6 might have been a little better but not much.

Really whatever you have the most parts that don't have to be purchased is the best option.

If it were my choice I would go with the 318, but both are good engines.

Looked at the poll, not gonna vote bcause the poll only asks about economy, which i think the slant six wil win handily, but disregards driveability with a standard shift tranny. I think if you use a slanty with an automatic tranny it would be just fine, the V8 would be better with the stick behind it.

After posting my 2 cents worth previously i think.i will follow this thread purely for entertainment purposes.

Cheers
Matt

If it was a V8 car and TB and K frame is there go 318, I love the slant sisx and will never put a V8 in my car 66 Valiant, 318 is a great engine, as is the /6.. My vote would be Teen it.

I bet some of our members can't see me voting 318, but I have owned many and an all around great engine Rani :glasses7:

I still vote slant after reading through the rest of the responses.

As for the shifting issue, that's dependant upon the driver. I've drivin' several slants with standard transmissions and never had a problem. I'm also the @$$hole in the right lane to doesn't care if I'm holding you up because I take ten minutes to reach 30mph in a 55 zone, I'll get up to speed eventually and UI'll do it quicker when the people passing my starts buying my gas.:D And I also don't feel a need to rev the slant over 1700rpm unless I'm having fun (I need OD). Why pass the point of max torque if you motor is all torque and no power?

One of those slants was in a 78' bone stock D-100 with the od 833 pulling a 30' camper. Did better than any V8 truck I've ever driven.

I'll go 318.....with highway gears and a 2bbl carb....the 318 has the torque to actually maintain speed with traffic and the economics and fuel economy of a /6 around town.

318s have hydraulic cams (no lash adjustment-EVER)=lower maintanence.
Spark plugs are a breeze to R&R, as is the rest of the tune-up
My 88' Roller Cam 318 has seen BETTER than 20mpg on the highway...

& Thats my vote.

I have had both a 225 and now 318. Milage is close and so much more fun to drive and sound with the Comp 268 is great. I vote teen,Joe

My 88' Roller Cam 318 has seen BETTER than 20mpg on the highway...

But is that an EFI motor? But think about using a bone stock, untouched, 70's 2-barrel carb, intake and a mediocre cam & combustion chamber design......seems like she would be very lucky to duplicate that. Plus, without overdrive she'll most likely be taching the slant 6 about 2500 RPM on the highway......shouldn't be too weak in the torque dep't at that RPM, I'd think.

It actually sounds like an really cool mileage comparo to do!!

No, No Fuel Injection...quite the contrary, a 4 barrel carb....My Dart Sport has the 88' 318 in it...and it has a 6339' Thermoquad on it.

I was just stating it IS possible to get good mileage with a 318 on the highway....but #1, you gotta keep your foot out of it.

[ame="http://youtu.be/LFh9FEQ_2e0"]302 Found[/ame]

Jeezus, how many Mopars do you have?!

You remind me of my dad; "See old mopar, EMPTY WALLET AND DRAG IT HOME!"

Anyways, back on topic... It depends what part of Colorado you're in... If it's very hilly, go with the 318. The extra power will really help with the hills. If it's not very hilly, the /6 should be sufficient, and it'll be better on fuel as well.

Also, a 68 Dart for a first car!? Lucky sis!

- CK

Rani, both are reliable...... If she isn't worried about power and this is her first one give her the slant six to learn on and that slant will go for a long time in the dart. Then take the 318 you have and drop it in the demon for yourself! Have her help with the install and setup of both to help her learn and be confident to work on her car incase she ever has a problem, needs to save money or just plain gets hooked like the rest of us.

I know I will probably get flamed for this but it is really a no-brainer, go with the 318 two barrel set up. The difference in economy is negligible and that small 8 will run circles around a stock slant. Any effort spent to hop up a slant six is better served on an eight cylinder.

Yeah, yeah, before all you slanters flame me I know they can be made to put out a respectable amount of power but for the effort it takes on a driver it just does not add up for me, especially if either engine is there for the taking including the parts to mount them.

If we were ordering one of these cars brand new and one had the choice of either base engine: 318 or the 225, would any car guy have really chose the slant? I think it was even the same money to get either one back then.

^X2 and if she's paying for her own gas, she'll learn to keep her foot out of it real quick

350 k on my 225/! I loved that car and unfortunetly she rotted out from under me or I would still have her! Plenty of power although the two barrel is prefered. Oh and servicing that carb is a smart move for max performance and mpgs...

Colorado Elevation, go for bigger C.I.D. to make up for it. Yes on the v-8.

Heck she might even keep the Dart longer.

On the other hand, if it had an automatic I say \6 with 2.25" exhaust system.

No, No Fuel Injection...quite the contrary, a 4 barrel carb....My Dart Sport has the 88' 318 in it...and it has a 6339' Thermoquad on it.

I was just stating it IS possible to get good mileage with a 318 on the highway....but #1, you gotta keep your foot out of it.

302 Found

Oh okay.....yeah, that TQ is quite the choice for mileage, as long as you stay out of the "afterburners" (secondaries). I don't know why everyone's tripping on the less power of the slant 6. Rani's sister will definitely get used to launching it and just make it happen. I dunno, my '69 Dart was my daily driver for years with an automatic and a 225. I thought it was fully up to the task, but I also rarely did any passing with it, and I doubt her sister will either.

A Super-Six setup would really be nice.

-
Back