Slapstik and overdrive ?

-
U dont need to do anything as the od is mechanical and or electric. Has 3 shift spots same as a 727 or 904. Kim
OK, but what I'm asking is if a Slapstik shifter can be used on the A500/A518 overdrive transmissions ? With it bolt right up ? or what kind of mods need to be made ?

OK, but what I'm asking is if a Slapstik shifter can be used on the A500/A518 overdrive transmissions ? With it bolt right up ? or what kind of mods need to be made ?
Geometry... If anything. I think like stated there may be a button like my Durango to un-activate it. What I do in those situations is since I'll have the tranny out and since I'll have a new shifter I get them working on the bench correctly so when I install them it's just about hooking it up not finding the geometry while crawling underneath the car.

U will need a bracket for the down rod to keep it stable, shouldn’t be too hard to make and bolt it to the tranny. Kim

Funny you should mention this...

I was thinking of my next build and was thinking of doing a 75-79 B body (which the earlier 75 B bodies automatics are rumored to have used up the last of the slap stick shifters). I want to go buckets and a console automatic. However an individual here (I forget his name) says there isnt room for the bell crank along the side of the transmission. See the link below to the picture comparing the 727/904/A500/A518 transmissions:

a500 and a904 comparison - Google Search:

On the 727 and the 904 the bell crank lines up with the speedo pinion not to far back from the trans pan. As you can see on the OD transmissions that area has a substantially larger girth, so you may run into clearance issues. The only Idea I could come up with to keep the console automatic is to do away with the bell crank and run a cable down to the transmission. The earlier 727's were cable shifted with the push buttons on the dash, so I believe it is possible. Plus a lot of the aftermarket auto shifters use cables as well.

Hope this helps

If you are referring to an aftermarket shifter which uses a cable it will be no problem. @TrailBeast Is a great resource as he used a B&M quicksilver and added two switches 1. for the OD and 1. for the lockup.

If you are referring to an aftermarket shifter which uses a cable it will be no problem. @TrailBeast Is a great resource as he used a B&M quicksilver and added two switches 1. for the OD and 1. for the lockup.

Almost :D
I have a Hurst Pro Matic in mine with the B&M cable because Hurst doesn't make a direct fit 36" cable.
On the shifter there are two switches that can interrupt the solenoid grounds if I want OD and/or lockup manually off.
Otherwise OD and lockup will come in automatically if these switches are in the "Auto" position.

ShifterArt.jpg

-
Back