Sleeving a 3G

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I may have the opportunity to pick up a 5.7 3G hemi at the right price, but there is a problem with it. I haven't called to get more information yet, but from the ad it sounds like it may have snapped a rod or something. However, it sounds like it didn't punch through the block since the seller said that it only needed a sleeve and that he had a rod, piston, and sleeve ready to go that he would sell with the setup. My question is how bad is it to sleeve a cylinder? I'm not looking to go real crazy with my build, but I'm probably going to be in the neighborhood of 400 hp now and maybe around 500 later. Should I just pass on this and keep looking or would this be a good chance to get a hemi for my project at the right price?

Sleeved blocks are pretty stout, I say go for it for the right price.

yeah i wouldn't let the sleeve stop you. i've ran several sleeved motors and hard. never had any problems. never under estimate a good machinist

So I may have the opportunity to pick up a 5.7 3G hemi at the right price, but there is a problem with it. I haven't called to get more information yet, but from the ad it sounds like it may have snapped a rod or something. However, it sounds like it didn't punch through the block since the seller said that it only needed a sleeve and that he had a rod, piston, and sleeve ready to go that he would sell with the setup. My question is how bad is it to sleeve a cylinder? I'm not looking to go real crazy with my build, but I'm probably going to be in the neighborhood of 400 hp now and maybe around 500 later. Should I just pass on this and keep looking or would this be a good chance to get a hemi for my project at the right price?
>I guess it all depends what you consider a good price. To sleeve one cylinder will likely be $100+. I find most of my 3G parts/motors on craigslist , mopar wholesale and ebay(parts). Picked up a sweet,low mileage, 2005' 5.7L, long block for $400, outright. One intake seat just started to drop. The deals are out there, if you dig. Good Luck, ateam.

depending what that motor came out of,,seems people think they can drive thru 3 feet of water,,,,the motor sucks in the water and spits out a rod,,,ive seen way to many 3G 5.7s for sale with a hole in the side,

Car motor yeah maybe, truck motors are stupid easy to buy. I've had at least 3 offered to me since Jan 1 all for less than $500.

I've love to be offered a car motor for those prices.

Riddler

Car motor yeah maybe, truck motors are stupid easy to buy. I've had at least 3 offered to me since Jan 1 all for less than $500.

I've love to be offered a car motor for those prices.

Riddler

isnt the truck motor more classic car friendly???

I wish I could find them that low around here. A few have come up, but they don't usually last long. Apparently the deal with this one is that it chipped a ring land at the top and scratched up the cylinder, no rod problems. The guy selling it knows or is a good buddy with someone that does machine work on older Mopars. His friend's idea was that since the 318 has such a close bore compared to the hemi (3.91 for the 318 and 3.92 for the hemi), that he would just install a 318 sleeve and bore it to stock hemi size. Said he would do it for $50 too. It's out of an 06 Charger, but it may have a truck cover on it now because they swapped in a motor out of a truck to replace it and may have swapped covers (I want the truck cover anyway). The only other issue is that I'm dumping the MDS, so unless I can find someone that has a set of normal lifters cheaper I'm going to be $200 or so into it just to get it where I want it.

When Hemis were just coming out, I paid 4g for the eng/trans/computers/harness/delivery. The small chump change you would be into it for seems like a no brainer to me.

the 3G motor I'm using cost me 24,000.it came with a free truck that I got to drivefor 5 years. :) ow I have another motor sitting in my gerage that has a broken piston and a missing crank (used it to fix a friends car) and that motor was free. It will become a boost motor and hopefully will see 1400hp

Yeah, my parents bought an 04 Ram 1500 this past winter that keeps teasing me. I keep joking around with them that I'm going to "forget" to hit the brakes some day, lol. Apparently the head also has some dings in the exhaust runner from the sound of it, should I be concerned? The guy said he was planning to just do some light porting to clean it up. I'll probably go aftermarket heads eventually, but it would be several months down the road if not a little longer.

pull the heads and send them in to be ported. There is no such thing as an aftermarket head. (for the hemi) only ported stockers. Now they flow so well there is not much use in an aftermarket head. At least within the limits of power the block can handle anyway

Yeah, that's what I meant, I was going to get a set of Inertia big valve heads eventually. I don't have the money right now to do any port work, hence why I was asking if it would be okay to leave it with the denting. I figure if I'm going to go with a big upgrade later I wouldn't mess with a little upgrade on what I have so I don't spend money twice.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I was going to get a set of Inertia big valve heads eventually. I don't have the money right now to do any port work, hence why I was asking if it would be okay to leave it with the denting. I figure if I'm going to go with a big upgrade later I wouldn't mess with a little upgrade on what I have so I don't spend money twice.

I just dropped a 340 block off to get a sleeve....... No problem, save the cash, buy it and sleeve it..................

If you were closer I'd sell you the extra truck motor I have. I broke the crank bolt but its a common problem and can be drilled out.

Riddler

Yeah, I saw where you were selling either parts or the whole thing some time back. Just shipped some valve covers up to the great white north, not terrible shipping, but I think an engine would probably kill me for freight, lol.

like 5.7 said its a no brainer. for the price your purchasing the motor for i'd snag it up and get done what i need and not look back

-
Back