Slick reading

-

scampy

Reaction score
Will be heading to the track soon and am wondering what I should look for on the slick back at the trailer,some good pics would be awsome.Last year I noticed a wavy pattern across the center of 1 slick but not all the way across about 1" from each edge.Looking to see about best tire pressure and good hook from reading the tire.Thanks:burnout:

There is now magic ## here. it all depends on how much weight is on the rear slicks, how hard your suspension hits the tire and and how much Hp/torque it at the wheel.

now that i have said that. i would start at 20 pounds and do a burn out. if its mostly in the center, then you need to take some air out of it. and you probably will. when you get a SOME WHAT even pattern, then you need to forget about the foot print, and find out what air pressure you car likes from there.

Once you find the proper air pressure, even if it not giving you the best foot print, it will as you ware them in.

I don't have a lot of experience with making a slick hook, so maybe other will have a better advice.

I don't thing looking at you tires after its back at the trailer will give you much info.......except if a belt is showing or something like that.:burnout:

72 plymouth scamp 28x10.5x15 MT drag slick with tube, car and driver about 3450 superstock springs around 425hp 340 4.30 gear with low 1st gear 904 trans

Last year I noticed a wavy pattern across the center of 1 slick but not all the way across about 1" from each edge.

72 plymouth scamp 28x10.5x15 MT drag slick with tube.

The 1" from the edge actually sounds pretty normal to me. You are seeing the pattern from a full pass. While a lb. or two drop may be needed, i don't think you were way off. A look at the track footprint on launch may show that you are indeed getting full contact at that point.

The "one" tire pattern could be suspension related? Or even out on a limb, a sure grip not quite locking up? Or do you have a spool?

What width wheel are they mounted on? Might help others chime in with similar setups.

P.S. I know I'm getting long winded here :D, but how many passes are on those tires? Even though most slicks have directional arrows, whenever mine would get "grainy", I'd flip them for 2/3 passes and that would clean them right up as long as they were still within their service life.

with that weight and itty bitty tire I would start at 12psi. if the hotrod is stable at speed, not wondering side to side, I would lower the it 1psi at a time until it started to wonder then go back up the 1psi. that will be the correct pressure. the wavy pattern is just the normal wear. not going all the way across means there is too much pressure or the rim is too narrow. a 10.5" slick should be on a 9"-11" rim, some folds like a 12" rim.

we are rotating the slicks right now,it has a spool and yea wheels are only 8"wide hoping to hit track this weekend for some test and tune

-
Back