Slickback

-

Peter

barracudalover
Reaction score
Hey every body I was hoping to get some input. I have a 69 Fastback with the vinyl top ( "Slickback" ) I don't particularly like the look. The car is very clean 318 all stock. Should I lose the vinyl top when I paint it? Are they valuable with the top? etc... I would apreciate any sugestions.

Thanks Pete

It is simply a matter of your preference. The top and trim are certainly not common, although you could simply keep the trim somewhere safe for the future. Personally, I like it. It's unique in it's design.

Grant

Vinyl tops suck (they easily lead to rust)! If you want to give it that look get a two tone paint job (with or without putting the trim back on, though with the trim on it would definitely draw your eye to it).

I think the main issue with rust is that when these cars were built, they never took the time to prep and seal the surface properly. As well, years of sun damage etc. allowed for the crap, salt and moisture to get in. If you paint the roof, and simply scuff before reinstallation, and like most people are doing now, avoid driving in the middle of salty winters, I think it's a non-issue.

Grant

And where's those pics.

Thanks everybody I will try to post some pics tonight. Its in pieces so she isn't very pretty. Starts off ugly then turns pretty! Just the opposite of my wife. Just kiddin honey!

-
Back