Slippery rear end

-

madmax/6

Reaction score
Wondering what the lightest,least friction oil I can get away with in my race only car with a spool.4.56 gears.A fellow racer says he runs 20 50 Mobile 1 engine oil in his.I would like advice and opinions before I go on 1 persons word.Any thoughts will bee appreciated.Mark

I wouldn't use it... I was getting m1 bearing oil for low speed gearboxes(machinery).... So I called mobil and asked about it they told me it lacked ep additives (extreme pressure). I seriously doubt 20/50 engine oil has the proper additive package to protect a hard launching drag car from tearing up the ring and pinion... My $ .02

I wouldn't use it... I was getting m1 bearing oil for low speed gearboxes(machinery).... So I called mobil and asked about it they told me it lacked ep additives (extreme pressure). I seriously doubt 20/50 engine oil has the proper additive package to protect a hard launching drag car from tearing up the ring and pinion... My $ .02

I agree. I would never use engine oil in a rearend especially a high powered race car. When the pinion surface breaks through the oil barrier it'll trash the gears fast and send crap all through the system trashing all the bearings too.

I'd say use the lightest weight synthetic gear lube you can find and that is as good as it gets.

You need a high quality gear oil…. Like was said above, engine oil is not designed for that kind of pressure.

Your race car will be beat by a 9 year old on a skateboard after you cook the rear end.

-
Back