Slipping 2-3 shift

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just installed a transgo TF-2 shift kit and followed the directions exactly (except I didn't grind down the tv valve like everyone recommends). It shifts great except every so often on the 2-3 shift it does this little high rev for like half a second and then engages 3rd. And it only does it when you are pressing like a 1/4 or 3/8 of the throttle. So not light but not like halfway. Anyone know how fix this? I made sure my kickdown was as far back as possible at WOT. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure he meant to adjust them to factory spec. He just said spec. which could mean Trans-go specification which is what I always go by

Did you adjust the line pressure correctly?
The Gap between the Clutches came in and the Band gets of is too big.
Did you install the orifice?
I had it one time that we installed the orifice and had that problem.
After removing it again, everything works great.

Otherwise its like the other Guys say, the Band adjustment is maybe wrong.
I think the Front band gets 2,5 turn out.

Verify that line pressure if you can, as it is easy to misunderstand the kit instructions on that.
That and the orifice is the only current things that come to mind.
It sounds like it's right on the edge of not enough apply oil, so everything else (shifts) is good?

Yeah, 1-2 is a perfectly clean shift. If it was the band being misadjusted, wouldn't the 2-3 shift be bad all the time?

Yeah, 1-2 is a perfectly clean shift. If it was the band being misadjusted, wouldn't the 2-3 shift be bad all the time?

Yes it would for the most part.
One thing to consider is the throttle pressure at different positions. (may be why it varies)
I suspect that you may find that it shifts fine with higher throttle positions.
Does this sound like what it is doing, or is it totally random?

What should line pressure be? And it happens at 1/4-1/3 throttle. Never half or light throttle

1-2 shift is just band apply. 2-3 shift is band release/ front drum apply, a combination has to be timed perfactly in order to happen properly. as the other guys stated band adjustment is critical. A good front pump and front clutch seals and clutches are also just as important. If they are good then trial and error on band adjustment are all thats left!

What should line pressure be? And it happens at 1/4-1/3 throttle. Never half or light throttle

So it never happens a higher throttle openings?
If not, 1 turn in (meaning counter clockwise on the allen bolt for the pressure valve) could very well solve it, as it sounds like it's right on the edge of enough pressure.

Was the 2-3 supply port in the valve body enlarged?

I also have a TP rod spring trick I use to change the shift points without going into the trans, but if the shiftpoints are good or a little high already it will make them higher.
( it raises the pressure a little more, and it's easy to do)

As far as stock I don't remember what the mainline pressure is but Tracy could tell you.
He does 727's mostly, but they are the same.
It also depends on where you test it (which port on the trans)
Here's a data sheet for TCI transmissions that give a good idea of what to look at.
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/trans-line-pressure/#Torqueflite727904

I played with the kickdown linkage, I'll see what that does and verify that the front band is adjusted properly (72 in/lbs then two turns off right?) and if nothing from that, check the line pressure

if you have firm shifts at moderate to wot, then you probly installed the kit properly. if you have good kickdown at all speeds, then your in the ballpark as far as throttle pressure adjustment goes. that only leaves the direct drum. is this a fresh tranny or original 73 vintage that was a little lazy?

You say you have a 904 trans & fitted the TF-2 Shift kit from TransGo right? If I can remember correctly the TransGo supplied orifice is only fitted to the 727 & not the 904. If you fitted it, this might be causing 3rd gear delay & engine flare up on the 2-3 shift at part throttle.
Cheers. Gaz

He raised the line pressure a bit and that got it.
It was via PM's.

-
Back