Slipping Trans

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
I have a 904 auto trans that slips when cold. When I put my Duster into reverse, (there's usually a loud clunking) it slips and then the car gently starts reversing as it slips and then eventually finds reverse in about 15 feet or so. This usually happens while cold. None of the other gears have this problem. Do you have any diagnostics/advice to help my slipping trans woes? Thanks!!!!

This is just some of the seals getting crispy and old and/or the torque converter draining down overnight. You can put off doing anything about this non-critical situation for a long time (at least until the weather's warm) by shifting out of Park and into Neutral before you start up the car first thing in the morning. By the time you've fastened your seat belt, turned on the radio, adjusted the mirror and all that, the torque converter will have filled up and Reverse engagement should be much more immediate.

Be sure your handbrake works or get into the habit of putting your foot firmly on the brake pedal if you do it this way.

Sounds like the typical torque converter drain back problem Mopars are famous for. Like slantsixdan said as soon as you start it up shift it into neutral to let the torque converter fill up (no fluid flows in park therefore it won't fill the converter in park no matter how long it runs). It will fill up in 15-20 seconds. Then when you shift it into reverse it should work fine. I have seen numerous torqueflites do exactly this.

-
Back