sloppy, vauge shifter

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
ive got a comp plus box on my duster. short tailshaft, close ratio a833. at least i was told it was the close ratio...

anyway, the linkage is set up spot on. new clips, bushings, etc. the trans was gone through before i bought it. new synchros and gaskets, couple of bearings.

the shifting is very vauge, and has miles of throw before engaging in gear. also tends to feel like its hanging up between gears, like the linkage or something is sticking.

looked at it today to verify everything is working properly, and it appears to be. but it just shifts bad. anything i can do to fix it?

also, im not running the bolts for the stops, as they hit the tranny tunnel and i coudnt adjust them anyway.

budget is a concern. im looking to repair/modify what i already have if at all possible.

michael

I had a hurst shifter on a dodge van with o/d 4 speed that was real vague. I never messed with it cause I could drive it fine but a friend (caferacerx) took it apart when he had the van and reversed a bushing and it worked as new. He said it was not hard to get apart and where the bushing wears it can just be reversed.

Ok first….

The stop bolts help clean up the throws (you can adjust out over travel. This is done in 3rd and 4th). Try shorter bolts the ones supplied are often longer than needed.

Your shifter may need a good cleaning (may be a rock or other hunk of road crap in there)

I would put the car in neutral, remove and clean everything, put a pin in the shifter hole and reset everything.

If that doesn't work you may need to rebuild the shifter or get a new one.

Make sure the nuts that hold the levers on the trany are tight too. I had one come loose and had simular symthems.

Make sure the levers that bolt to the shifting forks on the transmissions sidecover are correct A-body. If they are not it will give you "miles" of throw. It will also effect the operation of the rods as they may be moving further than intended. They may bind or rub, or make contact some other way.

have you rebuilt the shifter? I have had several with the same problem. hurst shifters are not hard to rebuild and it makes a huge difference in how they feel just make sure all the parts go back together in the same order and direction they came out, the place to look for excess wear is on the 1-2 lever and the 3-4 lever and the bushing they rotate on, look for out of round holes in the levers and grooves worn into the bushing, you can usually re use the levers and just flip the bushing end for end so that everything now rides on the good side of the bushing, clean everything really well and dont skimp on the heavy grease when re assembling it, should feel like a new shifter when you are done, there are also some youtube videos on rebuilding a hurst comp plus. and adjust your stops!

-
Back