Slow leak down/ Short travel hydraulic (roller) lifters anyone?

-

DrEamer

I suffer from cars on the brain!
Reaction score
I came across these the other day when looking at cams. They seemed like an interesting idea for the right engine build. Just wondering if someone had used them and had feedback. I don't know if I would use them for my Magnum stroker build, but worth taking a look at.

We're in. Dany's Magnum swap in the '66 Cuda has Hughes 1110 springs/retainers.
If it sets a few days, the springs are strong enough to collapse the lifters.
She either needs to crank it a bit to get oil pressure up, or they clatter for a bit.
WE NEED MORE INFO!!

Pics? Kim

Sorry, lost track of this one, the lifters look like stock hydraulic roller units.

We're in. Dany's Magnum swap in the '66 Cuda has Hughes 1110 springs/retainers.
If it sets a few days, the springs are strong enough to collapse the lifters.
She either needs to crank it a bit to get oil pressure up, or they clatter for a bit.
WE NEED MORE INFO!!

do you know which brand was being used. I understand both Johnson, and Johnson Hylift make this style of lifter. My build is a Magnum based stroker which will mostly be street driven.

Sorry, lost track of this one, the lifters look like stock hydraulic roller units.
We just have stock mopar rollers.
Don't know about oldkimmer but we just want to know what YOU found????

do you know which brand was being used. I understand both Johnson, and Johnson Hylift make this style of lifter. My build is a Magnum based stroker which will mostly be street driven.

I came across these the other day when looking at cams. They seemed like an interesting idea for the right engine build. Just wondering if someone had used them and had feedback. I don't know if I would use them for my Magnum stroker build, but worth taking a look at.
Did I miss something?
Manufacturer? P/N?

Maybe he's trolling us????

Not trying to troll, so the part numbers are HY2269S for the HyLift Johnson, and ST2311SBR for the Johnson lifters. The HyLifts are a drop in Magnum replacement style, and the Johnson's are a retro fit link bar.

Description from HyLift catalog.

“S” or Slow Design: These parts have an “S” designation after their part number. So a Slow
Design part number will look like A-0817S. These Lifters have a Leak Down on the upper
end of the scale from 90 to 120 seconds. In a performance application these lifter will actually
act like a mechanical lifter with very little effective loss of valve lift or duration at any RPM.
Just like the “R” Lifters these have a much smaller Leak Down range that will also balance all
of the cylinders to each other. These lifters are very hard to produce because the TOTAL
clearance between the I.D. of the Body and the Piston assembly is reduced to less than
0.000120”, or 1/30 of a human hair. These are like super heavy duty shocks and can handle
higher spring pressures without collapsing like the standard and “R” lifters. The only draw
back of this type of lifter is that if the valve train should “Float” because of reaching a higher
RPM than the valve springs can handle these lifters will try to take up the excessive clearance
causing the valve to hang open resulting in a loss of power. Because these are Hydraulic
lifters there is no lash or additional adjustment needed and the full cam profile is translated
to the valves. In testing, not only did these lifters result in more power and higher RPM
reading over other Hydraulic lifters they also reduced valve train wear and failure compared
to mechanical lifters.

Lifters.jpg

Lifter 2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, $850 a set...
We have like $1500 in our whole motor!!
I'd really be as happy to find a way to turn the factory hydraulic rollers into solids and put adjustable rockers on it.

Wow, $850 a set...
We have like $1500 in our whole motor!!
I'd really be as happy to find a way to turn the factory hydraulic rollers into solids and put adjustable rockers on it.

The drop ins from HyLift are a little under $300, but still not super cheap by any means.

I was on their site on my phone, must have missed it.
Any chance you have a part number?
$300 is more in our "range"...

The part number is HY2269S, I found them at the links below. You might want to contact USA to make sure that there are 16 lifters in the second link, or just get them from eBay in the third link.
High Performance Slow Leakdown Roller Lifter 5.2/5.9 Dodge Magnum
HyLift Chrysler V6, V8, V10 85-2005 drop-in Slow leak Hydraulic Roller Lifters | USA Performance Parts
HyLift Chrysler V6, V8, V10 85-2005 drop-in Slow leak Hydraulic Roller Lifters | eBay

-
Back