Small block / Edlebrock carb guys come on in

-

pearljam724

Reaction score
Anyone with any size small block. But preferably a 360 and a Edlebrock AVS carb. Share your jet size combo if you’re aware of it. I know different motors, set ups, yada yada yada. But, I’ve been tuning my carb and I have it running better than ever due to a calibration kit, some extra smaller jets and an air/fuel gauge. I’m down to a 89 in the secondaries. It pulls a lot better than before at full throttle. Gauge reads in the mid 11’s at full throttle. Initially at 10 when I first stomp on it. I’m pretty sure I can go down at least one more size on secondary. But, I’m not sure I should.
Do any small block guys have a smaller secondary jet than a 89 ? Engine simply has a mild cam, aftermarket intake, stock exhaust manifolds. Nothing radical.
Share your secondary jet size if your engine is similar. Sure, most engines are similar.

Anyone with any size small block. But preferably a 360 and a Edlebrock AVS carb. Share your jet size combo if you’re aware of it. I know different motors, set ups, yada yada yada. But, I’ve been tuning my carb and I have it running better than ever due to a calibration kit, some extra smaller jets and an air/fuel gauge. I’m down to a 89 in the secondaries. It pulls a lot better than before at full throttle. Gauge reads in the mid 11’s at full throttle. Initially at 10 when I first stomp on it. I’m pretty sure I can go down at least one more size on secondary. But, I’m not sure I should.
Do any small block guys have a smaller secondary jet than a 89 ? Engine simply has a mild cam, aftermarket intake, stock exhaust manifolds. Nothing radical.
Share your secondary jet size if your engine is similar. Sure, most engines are similar.

It's been a few years since I was running a Carter/Edelbrock on my 360 and I'm at 5000 ft above sea level so telling you my jet sizes wouldn't be much help anyway. I do know for sure you can lean out the WOT mixture quite a bit; I tend to target 12.5:1-13:1 depending on how efficient the engine is (higher compression and quench allow you to make max power with a leaner mixture). True going too lean at WOT isn't good for your engine but these are big old-school N/A pushrod V8s not turbocharged Subaru 4-bangers lol, they can hold up to brief lean mixtures. So by that it's safe to lean out the WOT mixture to the point where power starts dropping off, then jet back up a step richer to where it pulled the hardest.

Also remember both the primary and secondary jetting affects WOT air:fuel ratio, ideally you want the AFR with the primaries wide open and secondaries closed to be close to the AFR when the secondaries are hooked up and it's at "true" WOT. You can test this by just disconnecting the secondary linkage, and if your cruise mixture is where you want it (I like around 15:1 or leaner, saves gas and wear and tear on the engine) you'd need to adjust WOT mixture on the primaries by changing the metering rods.

My dart has a 340 with an E-Brock. It has been on the engine so long, I dont remember what size it is, or what jets, rods and springs are in it. The cars starts right up after sitting all winter, and runs good.

Carb number is typically on the lower left of the carb base. Look it up to determine cfm. 65'

Carb number is typically on the lower left of the carb base. Look it up to determine cfm. 65'
Thank you, I knew that. It’s a 650 cm model number 1805. It originally came on the car when I bought. The stock jetting on that carb was 98/95’s Which is very rich. I since installed 92/89’s. It’s pulling a lot harder now. But, I’m pretty sure I can downsize both one more time. I was just wondering what the generalization is. At one time this carb had 104/101’s. I mentioned what it has 92/85’s now. Can you believe the gas mileage never changed a bit at 11mpg. That’s a huge jump in jetting. Average 9-12 mpg regardless of any conditions. Everything is tuned properly and new. It runs great. But, she’s a drinker. That’s for damn sure.

Thank you, I knew that. It’s a 650 cm model number 1805. It originally came on the car when I bought. The stock jetting on that carb was 98/95’s Which is very rich. I since installed 92/89’s. It’s pulling a lot harder now. But, I’m pretty sure I can downsize both one more time. I was just wondering what the generalization is. At one time this carb had 104/101’s. I mentioned what it has 92/85’s now. Can you believe the gas mileage never changed a bit at 11mpg. That’s a huge jump in jetting. Average 9-12 mpg regardless of any conditions. Everything is tuned properly and new. It runs great. But, she’s a drinker. That’s for damn sure.

Are you running vacuum advance? And is your ignition advance curve dialed in right? If they are you can really lean out the primary cruise circuit to 15.5 or even 16:1 AFR, that is where all of your gas mileage will come from. Lots of advance and a lean mixture, that's what every gas engine wants under light load. I'd try going at least a size down on both jets and looking at what metering rods you have in the carb now. I picked up 3 MPG in my Duster with a 360 going from 14:1 AFR at cruise to 16:1, I had no idea it had been running that rich until I installed my wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

Don't just go off the AFR reading though either. Lean it out until you get hesitation on tip-in when cruising then richen it back up slightly, this way preferably by changing the metering rods. Jet changes on Edelbrocks should be for more "coarse" adjustments IMO. Oh and another thing lol, put lighter step-up springs under the metering rods so they stay down in the economy/cruise mode more you might have a situation where they are popping up into power mode (rich) with less throttle than it needs.

-
Back