Small block falls on its face.

-

Heim

Reaction score
Could use some help. I have a small block 340 in my duster. The motor is fresh. Everything seems set up correct to how it was before refresh but know it falls on its face at about 4500 rpm. Don't know where to start. Some ideas would be appreciated.

More information on the build would help.

When you say fresh that means alot of things. You need to be more clear on what was done to the engine.

Cam/springs specs--New/Used?
Compression?
Ignition components?
Carb?

What is the timing set at? Initial & Mechanical all in at what RPM?

If I were to guess it has to do with Ignition or Fuel. Who installed the timing set and who degreed the cam in?

you provided next to no info here. "falls on its face" with no cam spec or carb info is a crap shoot. but i will take a stab and tell you that your carburetion is way to small and/or your secondaries are not opening .

Sorry for limited info. When I say fresh I ment that the motor had just been gone back through after spinning a rod bearing. The bottom end was redone with original parts and everything was re clearanced. The top end had the heads ported and new lifters but all other parts put back on it. The cam is a 292/608. I am not sure of the compression. the ignition is all MSD with a 7al2 box. and the carb is a proform 750.

What is the timing set at?? Like stated earlier it is most likely Ignition or Fuel. Once you get the Timing set and figured out, its carb adjustment time.

I am thinking that the Cam Timing may be the problem.

Thanks for the help guys. It ended up I was making more of the problem than it was and didn't check the easy things. It ended up that it was just bad gas. Put some fresh 101 in and changed the plugs and all is back to normal.

Thanks for the help guys. It ended up I was making more of the problem than it was and didn't check the easy things. It ended up that it was just bad gas. Put some fresh 101 in and changed the plugs and all is back to normal.

How long was the fuel sitting for? Is that Pump 101 in your state?

I could not remember when the fuel was put in and the last time I remembered putting gas in it was last summer so I really don't know. We do have pump but it is hard to find.

-
Back