Small block gear drive?

-

bignick

Reaction score
I recently bought a motor and it has a Milidon gear drive on it. I've never run them before. Is it worth keeping or if not whats it worth used? It's in perfect shape. Motor is a 422" 340 based Stroker, will have 13:1 comp. w/ Hughes solid cam and ported Eddy's. Basically is there and advantage over a nice timing chain?

Why not keep it? Do your research on what it takes to keep your engine happy with it, of course.

Always wanted one. I love the whine sound for some reason.

Well there @ $400 new. I'm thinking sell it and put the money towards something else. It is a race motor and I'm sure I'll never hear the gear drive. Unless there is a performance difference which I'm thinking if there was everyone would be using them.

What do you think it's worth? I'd keep it because once it's BOUGHT, it's used and worth less than what it sold for. Those are badass gear drives, btw. One of the best.

I don't know $200 bucks? Would you run it on your race motor? I've built several small block bracket motors and never heard of anyone using them. I'd be willing to trade it for a billet gear timing chain and some cash. Or Some 4.100" Flat tops for a 4" stroke motor and some cash from me.

Well....Lemmie put it like this. They been makin that piece a LONG time. The same part number fits the early Chrysler Hemi. You think Big Daddy ran a timing chain in his nitro burnin blown 392? No. He ran a gear drive. The same one you have. Yes. I would run one in my race motor.

I run one on my street/strip 340 duster. I love it !.... dead accurate timming no matter what.

I have used a few in my day. I love them. Its a hard sell at $400 vs $100 for a Great timing chain/gear set, but they work very well.

I've got one on my 340 cruiser.......Love the noise it makes 8-)

Just an FYI.....There is some type of modification that needs to be done if using a stock fuel pump.

Lol thanks for the info not gonna have a stock fuel pump on it. Electric pump with bypass on alcohol.

Had one on my small block. well still do motor was swaped for the 440. I loved the thing sounded great an you knew i was coming thats for sure

like said they have spot on timing that will never ever change but if you want to you can always sell it and install a timing chain that will stretch as soon as the motor is fired up and will get worse the longer you use it. it's your money so go ahead and sell the gear drive and buy some crappy timing chain set.

I've got one on my 340 cruiser.......Love the noise it makes 8-)

Just an FYI.....There is some type of modification that needs to be done if using a stock fuel pump.

About 1/4" has to be cut off the face of the fuel pump eccentric to use a mechanical pump w/ a gear drive timing set.

I've done that in the past, had to shorten the eccentric on one of my 340's that has a CAT gear drive, and again on the 340 that was in my '74 with a Milodon gear drive

like said they have spot on timing that will never ever change but if you want to you can always sell it and install a timing chain that will stretch as soon as the motor is fired up and will get worse the longer you use it. it's your money so go ahead and sell the gear drive and buy some crappy timing chain set.

lol

-
Back