Small block heat riser pics (round type)

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Can anyone get me some pictures of their small block heat risers? the round weight type (1972). Mine is gone, my have found a kit. Not sure of how the springs went, and if there were 1 or 2 near the weight side. plus the small rattle spring. Thanks

There's a coil (heat) spring on the weight side, and a return spring on the other. The shaft must turn freely or new bushings will need to be installed. (an expensive endeavor.) Then you have to lubricate it with a graphite spray ever so often. My heat riser on my '72 340 had to be replaced back in '85. My advice….Disregard the whole thing. Google it, and there should be pix somewhere.

There's a coil (heat) spring on the weight side, and a return spring on the other. The shaft must turn freely or new bushings will need to be installed. (an expensive endeavor.) Then you have to lubricate it with a graphite spray ever so often. My heat riser on my '72 340 had to be replaced back in '85. My advice….Disregard the whole thing. Google it, and there should be pix somewhere.
The kit that I may be able to get has the small rattle spring, Large circle coil thermo spring, and somewhat weird long flatish looped @ each end spring. So would the flatish/looped at ends spring be used . I've seen that spring on big blocks, but not sure on small blocks. I have googled it never get a good picture of a small block.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll go out and take a good look at it. I believe that spring you are talking about goes in a split in the shaft, and acts as a limiter. but I'll get back to you late tonight, or in the morning.

I just went out with a mirror to look at it. That piece with the loops at both ends is a limiter that goes up against the counterweight in a split in the shaft. Keeps the butterfly valve in the manifold from going past 90 degrees open. I don't have a digital camera so I'm not much help there. And I don't remember if the stops for this limiter, and the return spring came with the kit, or were part of the manifold. Unless you just want to return it to stock…I wouldn't mess with installing it. It doesn't accomplish much, and can rattle once the bushings wear. That is why I fixed mine in '85. The factory did a shitty job with the bushings, and it rattled like crazy. Since I had it fixed it is fine. But was it worth the cost…No. Hope this helps.

I just went out with a mirror to look at it. That piece with the loops at both ends is a limiter that goes up against the counterweight in a split in the shaft. Keeps the butterfly valve in the manifold from going past 90 degrees open. I don't have a digital camera so I'm not much help there. And I don't remember if the stops for this limiter, and the return spring came with the kit, or were part of the manifold. Unless you just want to return it to stock…I wouldn't mess with installing it. It doesn't accomplish much, and can rattle once the bushings wear. That is why I fixed mine in '85. The factory did a shitty job with the bushings, and it rattled like crazy. Since I had it fixed it is fine. But was it worth the cost…No. Hope this helps.
So the long looped spring goes closest to the counter weight, and then the thermo spring is closest to the manifold. What year /engine car are you looking at ?

-
Back