Small block hei distributors

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
Im currently running an msd pro billet distributor in my 360. It does not have vacuum advance. Getting a whopping 8mpg out of it.

So im looking at my options. Before putting the wideband on and messing with the carb, im getting timing sorted.

To that end, im looking at the cheap hei distributors. Theres two versions. A lage cap and a small cap.
Large cap appears to be able to accept the stock gm replacement parts. Does it ise the same internals as a large cap gm hei? Such as the advance weight, springs and bushings? Will it clear a duster firewall?

The small cap is much tougher. Cant figure out what cap and rotor it uses, etc. What about advance weights and springs?

Im trying to get a distributor as easy to tine as the msd, with vacuum advance and a non msd price tag

Put one of these on my 408. All good.
Screenshot_20220824-081655.png

I'm not sure about clearance on a Duster.. but the aftermarket big dizzy GM HEI parts are just like the units you'd find on a Chebby internally. I bought mine on Ebay for under $150.. comes with a set of not horrible plug wires. Ran fine out of the box. Only issue was excessive oiling up top that a lil RTV fixed easily. I replaced the module and coil with Pertonix FF3 parts.

SMALL BLOCK MOPAR 273-318-340-360 64-89 BLACK HEI DISTRIBUTOR + Spark Plug Wires

Had one in my D150. Worked well, was simple and easy, my only bone to pick? Every time I mashed the throttle and dumped the clutch the engine would rock the slightest amount and the vacuum advance part of the HEI would hit the firewall and advance the timing a hell of a lot. Me being a purist to my baby of a D150 I couldn't and wouldn't pound the firewall in or cut it to make room so I went to Pertronix. Now I did decide that for my dirt oval track car I will be using my old HEI because who cares about slicing a little out of that? My advice? Skip the HEI and just go to a Pertronix or another of your choice that is non-HEI.

Im currently running an msd pro billet distributor in my 360. It does not have vacuum advance. Getting a whopping 8mpg out of it.

So im looking at my options. Before putting the wideband on and messing with the carb, im getting timing sorted.

To that end, im looking at the cheap hei distributors. Theres two versions. A lage cap and a small cap.
Large cap appears to be able to accept the stock gm replacement parts. Does it ise the same internals as a large cap gm hei? Such as the advance weight, springs and bushings? Will it clear a duster firewall?

The small cap is much tougher. Cant figure out what cap and rotor it uses, etc. What about advance weights and springs?

Im trying to get a distributor as easy to tine as the msd, with vacuum advance and a non msd price tag
dusterbd13, I'm running a large cap GM HEI in my 64 Valiant small block, as far as I know the it is in stock configuration; it is a tight fit, been in for 4 years now, no issues, I always carry a spare module in glovebox.

Avoid the dist in post #2, it does NOT have an adj VA unit.

Get the large cap HEI, coil-in-cap. I can buy the Chinese ones here for $60 for A Chebby, bit more for other brands; have used heaps of them, never had a problem. In fact the only problem I had was one that I upgraded with a Summit 4 pin module with adj rev limiter. This module failed & was replaced by the original module, all working well now.
These dists are well made, centre plate & weights are chromed to prevent rust & are lubricated well. Weights etc are same set up as factory GM. They also come with adjustable VA unit.

-
Back