Small block help

-

Romeo

Mister "G"
Reaction score
I am aware that Dodge has a small and a big block classification. I am wondering about parts swapping of the small blocks. I have a 318 and have installed a set of 360 headers. I am doing a piece at a time.. I was wondering what easy to find heads would be the best to go with, and before you guys start with the 340 stuff hold on. I am building a budget car. So I am wondering about the 318 and 360 heads and whats up with 383's anyway. Small block or big block. How can I tell what tranny I have. I've heard the 727 number thrown around. The diff area I'll figure out. I'm a nine inch fan.

A 383 is a big block "B" engine. You can get plenty of power from a 318, also the newer 318 heads (89-94?) are a great starting point. Someone will chime in and help more with the heads. You probably have a a904 trans in your car. The a727 is way more beefy and is a great upgrade. The trans you have is plenty for what you have though.

Here is a pic for the trans

mopar-panid.jpg

late 70's 360 heads will work well. If you find 360 "swirl port" heads from the late 80's, even better. Magnum heads are even better than that, but have a different valve train.

Swapping in a 727 is a good way to beef up the driveline. However, if you stick to the 904 and put some money into it, it'll survive and have less rotating weight, making the car a bit quicker, and perhaps giving better MPG.

Rear axle could be an 8.25" if the car is the one in your avatar. Otherwise its a 7.25" and needs to be replaced sooner than later. A 9" rear is fine, but if you are trying to save cash, an 8.25" is low budget, an 8.75" is higher budget, and the 9" will take time and cash to get it to fit. An 8.25" should be fine for what you want to do. Just be sure its not one of the crazy high (numerically low) ratios like 2.54 or 2.41. Most of these were 2.71, and will accomodate gear changes for better ratios, like 3.23/3.55/3.91/4.11. The other ratios have a different case that cannot hold the bigger ring gears.

-
Back