Small Block ID help needed

-

PA Dart Guy

Reaction score
I found a 74 Dodge Club cab truck in a salvage yard. It is a military issue truck, so it doesn't have the normal emissions stickers under the hood. I can't read the casting number or even see it because of the starter and manifold/exhaust. The one sticker that is on the fender says it is either a 318 4-bbl or 360 4-bbl (the emissions hose routing sticker). It is a 2wd and has a 727 tranny in it.

Are there any other obvious indicators that would point to which engine it is? It has a cast crank balancer with a fairly large counterweight on it and the casting markings I could see are a large 3 to the rear of the block and a large 6 towards the front of the block - these are both near the water jackets. The casting number for the year is x-x-74 (74 is all I could read).

Any help would be great!

Since it has a cast crank balancer, I am going go with a 360. If you really want to read the numbers, perhaps you can take a can of brake cleaner (with a plastic spray hose to shoot the area with the numbers) and maybe a flashlight and retractable mirror to get in there and see the numbers.

360s had thick ballancers.also the 2 barrel carbs on 360s are larger,same as 400s,were as 318 2 barrel carbs looks like one barrels kind of.

318's didn't have a extra counter weight on the balancer like the 360's did so I'd say 360 also. The engine CID can also be found on the front drivers side of the block right below the head surface area. It is stamped in unlike the casting on the side of the block so it's usually covered with grime and impossible to read unless you clean this surface really well.

318's didn't ever use a 4 barrel either so that's another reason I would say it's a 360.

Awesome...

This is an awesome find in general. The owner of the yard said they drove it up and parked it in the spot where it's sitting now. He told me $400 for the engine and trans... =P~

That 360 engine is rated at 245 horse from the factory, but I'm wondering if it may have some extra goodies because it's MIL-Spec. Someone mentioned in one of the replies above that there wasn't a 318 4-bbl....but there were in the cop cars and other govt issue stuff. My buddy had an ex-cop Diplomat, and it had roller lifters, rockers and a 4-bbl.

Like I mentioned in the first thread, the Emissions hose routing sticker on the fenderwell lists "318 4-bbl and 360-1,3 4-bbl" engines. I'll get a pic of it when I go back to the yard tomorrow.

Either way, it's a real cool find and I'm definitely going to snag it.

Gonna post a pic or two of the 68 Valiant I just picked up too. Stole that for $800 from a guy outside of Baltimore.

Someone mentioned in one of the replies above that there wasn't a 318 4-bbl....but there were in the cop cars and other govt issue stuff. My buddy had an ex-cop Diplomat, and it had roller lifters, rockers and a 4-bbl.

The 4 barrell 318's with roller lifters never came out until the mid to late 80's. Military issue might have had a 318 4 barrell but I really don't think they had roller lifters until 85 or 86.

My uncle bought a 84 Ramcharger new and it did have a 318 4 barrell (quadrajet) but didn't have roller lifters.

Either way about it that's a good find you got there.

Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit trying to scrape the money up....Anyone have $400 I can borrow for a couple weeks??? lol

-
Back