small bolt 8 3/4 a body rear

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
hey guys I have a chance to buy a small bolt a body rear 8 3/4 the question is can it be turned into a big bolt rear and if so will it break the bank or would it be a good way to go? the rear is going to cost me about 200.00$

Jump on it man! Seriously! They are like gold at that price!
Aftermarket axles are available with the big bolt pattern or do what others have done, have a shop redrill them and the drums and your good to go.

I wish I'd of been able to find one instead of shortening a cbody rear a couple years ago.

Good deal! Before you order axles, think what rear brakes you want. If you can find a pair of backing plates from a big pattern 8 -3/4 diff, you can use the easy to get brake parts, like drums ect.. The drums for the A body 8-3/4 diffs are hard to find. The axles are different length for each. I know this because I have a 71 340 Demon with 5X4 bolt pattern, and need drums. The is a tech article at Moparmuscle.com.

Have the axles redrilled then slot the drums,has lived behind a 340 for 4 years.

that is a steal!!! wish I could find one at that price
you can also have a pair of C-body axle's shortened and re splined cheaper than buying aftermarket (that is if you can find a cheap set of C-body axles)

Summit has BBP Moser axles for $179.00

Good deal! Before you order axles, think what rear brakes you want. If you can find a pair of backing plates from a big pattern 8 -3/4 diff, you can use the easy to get brake parts, like drums ect.. The drums for the A body 8-3/4 diffs are hard to find. The axles are different length for each. I know this because I have a 71 340 Demon with 5X4 bolt pattern, and need drums. The is a tech article at Moparmuscle.com.

mopartom340,

I found the 8 3/4" SBP 10" X 1 3/4" rear drums at www.rockauto.com
They are a Wagner part BD60123

Good Luck!

hey guys I have a chance to buy a small bolt a body rear 8 3/4 the question is can it be turned into a big bolt rear and if so will it break the bank or would it be a good way to go? the rear is going to cost me about 200.00$

$200 is a steal.

to convert it to big bolt the best way in my opinion is to buy big bolt axles they are gonna cost ya in the $300-$400 range

then you'll need big bolt brakes. can get them from any 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 rear and maybe more but i'm not 100% on the others.

My 67 Dart Gt came with the 8 3/4 and SBP, already had the right backing plates.
Cost me $450 for a local shop to make me up a set of LBP axles with properly
spaced Green bearings to plug right into my 8 3/4 with 10"x2" drum brakes. Already
had 10" brakes but had to buy the LBP 2" drums - think I got them from Advanced
Auto web site delivered for $35 each. Was going to have the local shop drill out the
drums but they didn't recommend it. You got quite the deal on that rear end, last one
I saw they wanted $850 for it on craigslist.

When I converted my 8 3/4 over to large bolt pattern, I found a van in the salvage yard with 11" brakes and the proper tapered axles to have cut. Moser cut them and installed my bearings for me and I have been cruising on them since (well, until I started the 2nd restoration). Now that Moser offers their own A-body axle, I would go with something like that, but most definately find brakes off a large bolt pattern vehicle. I was having a very difficult time finding drums for the small bolt pattern axles. Pricey too.

Get ahold of a member here named (jamesdart), he has a set of C body axles, and backing plates , he just sent me a message on tuesday to see if I wanted them. Think he want's $150 for all of it plus shipping. All you have to do is send the axles to moser engineering to have them cut and resplined. I just talked to moser last friday I believe it's $120 to cut and spline them. This is a much better, and cheaper route then drilling axles, and drums, then you can buy parts at any auto parts store!

When I converted my 8 3/4 over to large bolt pattern, I found a van in the salvage yard with 11" brakes and the proper tapered axles to have cut. Moser cut them and installed my bearings for me and I have been cruising on them since (well, until I started the 2nd restoration). Now that Moser offers their own A-body axle, I would go with something like that, but most definately find brakes off a large bolt pattern vehicle. I was having a very difficult time finding drums for the small bolt pattern axles. Pricey too.

I bought drums from these guys a couple years ago, they are 10" SBP A body rear drums. I paid something like $40 each, but I see the price has gone up.

http://www.nationalmoparts.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2009&lastcatid=1742&step=4

-
Back