small-bolt/BIG-BOLT....TRUNION ?

-

rick_rawker

Reaction score
So I took a chance and won a complete {marked} 1964 dart DRIVESHAFT. Part price $25.00 {$55.00 shipping}. As, my trunion is worn-out, I was glad to see and feel how great a shape this one was in. The length was 1/4 inch different...acceptable. I installed a new rear u- joint on the rear, put a light, fresh dab of grease in the trunion, conditioned the good boot, and paint-prepped the shaft. Then, after removing the old one, and attempting to install...............I GOT THE SHAFT. :thebirdm: I failed to check the bolt patterns on the end of the union. :( My new found treasure is a, you guessed it, 1/4 larger diameter. I have a 4-speed, maybe this one fit an automatic ? I've seen the 'kits' offered for my '64 DART and none mention any certain bolt pattern, so I ASSumed they were all the same. I'm not against drilling the right pattern, but, wonder if there is a trans output shaft I could replace first. As far as drilling goes, my $20.00 'machine shop' aint goin' to hack-it, but it's worthless to me anyway and I might as well try something.......View attachment 37525

View attachment 37526

View attachment 37527

View attachment 37529

Rick,
I just replaced my trunion shaft in my 64. I'll measure the diameter tonight. I had a new driveshaft made. They used a jeep/truck style trunion adapter with a slip yoke. It bolted up perfect. I'm in PA so that won't help you...

Bob

Rick,
I just replaced my trunion shaft in my 64. I'll measure the diameter tonight. I had a new driveshaft made. They used a jeep/truck style trunion adapter with a slip yoke. It bolted up perfect. I'm in PA so that won't help you...

Bob
Thanks Bob.

Rick,

Bob
I will get a driveshaft made,but,need to wait on my rear-end swap first. For now I'm trying to search-out a larger patterned union.

The dart that I just parted out had a slip yoke with flange driveshaft. But it's from a 4dr. Still have it if your interested. It was done fairly recent as the paint is still shiney.

I was wrong. Here is someone who lists two sizes.

Parts for sale
  • Replacement Ball-n-Trunion Boot, Individual boot: $42
  • Replacement Ball-n-Trunion Boot Kit. Boot + Installation Tool + Clamps: $85
  • NOS Ball-n-Trunion housing small fits A-bodies. $100
  • NOS Ball-n-Trunion housing large fits B/C-bodies. $140
  • Used Ball-n-Trunion housings $40.................................................................................... Obviously; now I just need to find a B/C-body: 4-speed rear trans union. IF my spline will match.

Rick,

The flange is 3 5/8" diameter. I had it cut years ago when I put the new rear in. It fits an 8 3/4 rear w/7260 universal. The trunion needs a new boot. Make me an offer if you're interested. I suggest a new universal too.. My new one was over$200 in parts alone... zip is 18018 if you want to figure shipping???

Bob

Rick,

The flange is 3 5/8" diameter. I had it cut years ago when I put the new rear in. It fits an 8 3/4 rear w/7260 universal. The trunion needs a new boot. Make me an offer if you're interested. I suggest a new universal too.. My new one was over$200 in parts alone... zip is 18018 if you want to figure shipping???

Bob
Thanks Bob, but I really just need a B-body trans-yoke from a four speed. I would be interested in that part if you have it.........rick

I myself got a way from the trunion drive shaft. Not that it gave me problems, but I couldn't find parts for them and nobody would touch it to rebuild it.

-
Back