Small bolt to big bolt pattern conversion advice

-

swinger

Reaction score
The car: '68 barracuda, 10" front drums, 8 3/4" rear.
The questiion: What are my options for doing a big bolt conversion? Specifically I'm looking for
1. the option (redrilling, OEM parts swap, aftermarket conversion, etc)
2. the pros/cons
3. the approx cost (not counting wheels/tires!)
for upgrading both the front and the rear.
Thanks!

The small patern axels i have cant be drilled because of the large hole in the flange for a socket wrench to remove axells. If you did get away with it it would not be very structurally sound. Upgrade rear axels 300$ and up plus change to b body rear brakes. Plus disk brake convershion for front could easily end up over a grand.I have at least 500 in the rear end conv. theirs a guy on hear has a good deal on mosier axels is a good start.

i have mosers..they didnt break the bank..and they work...spend the money on quality parts..I scavanged around and waited until i had all the parts i needed...lots of people do this conversion..and lots of folks here have the parts you need...all you have to do is ask......

Brewers has BBP axles for A Body 8 3/4 that allows you to just redrill your brake drums. Anyone tried that, it's my inclination to do that since the brakes are 2 by 10", which I hear is adequate anyway. I'm just haven't heard of anyone doing that...

I've done it a few ways on the rear. Resplining C body axles, drilling SBP to LBP, buying aftermarket big axles. On the rear the best IMO, is to by a set of aftermarket BBP axles. You can get a set of BBP axles for right at $300 + shipping. I've had pretty much all the brands and they aren't any different in performance. All are much more stout than resplined which runs anywhere from 125-200 to do plus the cost of axles.

You'd need to get a set of LBP rear brakes from just about any LBP car. They usually run from 50-150

Redrilling SBP to big will cost you about 100-125 if you can get a shop to do it. I've had them before and never had an issue, BUT< I would be leery of throwing big power at them, they are not the most stout piece.

On the front the easiest to do is an A or F body disc swap. I have both set ups available. The only thing you need is an upper control arm from a 73-76 A body car. These set ups run anywhere from about 100 for spindles ionly to about 350 for everything including uppers.

Aftermarket rear axles is the easiest and it isn't much more than having a set of C-Body axles re-sized. The original sbp axles can't be drilled because of the access hole and they don't have a large enough flange to be safe with the larger bolt pattern anyway.

The front would depend on what you want to spend, aftermarket setups usually run around $800+ but you can find everything you need (upper control arms, spindles, rotors, dust shields, etc.) from a 73-76 A-Body for around $100-$200 depending on who has it, you can also get new brake pads, seals, hoses and bearing at most part stores without having to wait on shipping. The rotors are also the same as most 73-85 Mopars and easy to find.

Aftermarket rear axles is the easiest and it isn't much more than having a set of C-Body axles re-sized. The original sbp axles can't be drilled because of the access hole and they don't have a large enough flange to be safe with the larger bolt pattern anyway.

The front would depend on what you want to spend, aftermarket setups usually run around $800+ but you can find everything you need (upper control arms, spindles, rotors, dust shields, etc.) from a 73-76 A-Body for around $100-$200 depending on who has it, you can also get new brake pads, seals, hoses and bearing at most part stores without having to wait on shipping. The rotors are also the same as most 73-85 Mopars and easy to find.
I'm one of the SBP cult that is staying that way for now. I picked up a complete set of front brakes (4PCal), spindles,hubs and rotors from a 68 GTS in the summer that will work with my UCA and Bjoints (or so I am told) I also scored a ABody 8 3/4 with open an 323 as well as a SG 391. I'm locked in for now. Just needs to get done.

-
Back