Small bolt to big bolt

-
Reaction score
I am going to switch my 66 Valiant to big bolt disc brakes and plan on switching the rear too.

I was going to have the axles redrilled to accomplish this but I thought maybe someone here knew a better way or had a suggestion.

I used aftermarket Yukon Axles with the big bolt pattern. I also used 11" cop car drum brakes!

Picture 714.jpg

Yes, they will work! Aslo need to use the matching brake drums. I got my axles on ebay from ebay user mopartsdealer, he sell them all the time.

Redrilling is the easiest way to go, Moser does both drums and axles for about 180 dollars. They use screw-in 1/2 studs. If you want the larger brake then the Yukon, Moser, or Strange replacement axle is a good alternative. The replacement axle will push the wheel out a little further though so compensate on your backset when picking a wheel.

For the rear, I swapped to a rear axle with a big bolt pattern wheel hub. The brakes that were on it were larger, too. At a minimum, check brake intermals, bolt in, and bleed brakes. The later model rear axle used a different brake hose than the earlier model. The connection to the body was the same, but the one on the axle was different.

For the rear, I swapped to a rear axle with a big bolt pattern wheel hub. The brakes that were on it were larger, too. At a minimum, check brake intermals, bolt in, and bleed brakes. The later model rear axle used a different brake hose than the earlier model. The connection to the body was the same, but the one on the axle was different.

Well gee thanks. Now I feel like a dumb***. LOL
Why not just swap the rearends? I will do that instead of having them drilled.
I really dont know why I didnt think of that. Got too much on my mind to think straight I guess.

I did have an 8 3/4 for this car but sold it because I plan on using this car for cruising and not really any racing or hard driving so the stock rear was fine.

Thanks again!!!

I think what 72 Demon was saying is that on the 7.25 rears ,they were offered in both large and small bolt patterns. The large being post 72, 73?, so if you can find a 7.25 with an axle that has the big pattern you can swap out just the axles with brakes. You could also swap out your entire rear for one of the 8.25`s used in post 72 cars as a unit.

I did this back in 96. 74 uca's and the 8 1/4 rear from the same car. Now I'm using 96 threw 98 rear GC rear disk brakes on an 8 3/4.

If you redrill the axles and drums then you will have to redrill drums again the next time you need them.

If you purchase new axles with the B/E body offset then you can use off the shelf brake drums which are larger, ceaper and easier to find or easily install one of the aftermarket rear disk brake kits later on. You will also have the added bonus of a stronger axle. A less expensive alternative is to find a set of C-body axles and have them shortened and resplined.

I got a 8.25 from a later model A-body to get LBP. If I did it over I would use a Ford 8" from a 67 -70 Mustang.

Why would you use a weaker axle if you were to do it over? The 8.25 is nearly as strong as the 8.75 it replaced and about the same as a Ford 8.8".

Easier gear replacement.
More aftermarket support(not much but more)
Cheaper replacement parts
No C clips

-
Back