small engine HELP!!!

-

Outsider

Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me why my snowblower engine won't run unless the choke is full on, and then it runs a MAX RPM. I mean scary MAX RPM. It just stalls when you try to idel it down, or pull the choke off. I don't want to blow the thing up, and it is relatively new, so I'm hesitant to just start tearing it apart.
Anyone have any ideas? Man I hate every engine less than 273 cubic inches.

I'm betting the carb is all gummed up. Pull it off, clean out the jets and blow some snow. :) Don't forget to drain the tank of any old gas and put some fresh stuff in too.

There is plenty of gas. Could this be a vaccum thing?

Like was said above…. Clean the carb. Get a can of spray carb cleaner, take the carb off and spray out everything.

Every time my lawn mower has a problem of any kind this is the issue.

vacuum leak. choke closed = no air to engine but it is still running! air is entering the engine some where other than the carb. just my 2 cents

Ian

This symptom is pretty common with seasonally-used small engines. The carburetor gets clogged up and/or water accumulates in the carb bowl, and then the engine won't run unless you choke it. Pretty good bet your snowblower has a Tecumseh engine on it; until recently that was the most common brand. Carb kits are cheap and easy to get at any power equipment dealer...so are factory service manuals. If you need to get it going in a hurry, remove the float bowl (the bowl nut is also the main jet; careful of the O-ring that seals the bowl to the carb casting), let the gasoline drain through the line, and use a spray can of carb cleaner to hose down the whole underside of the (now exposed) carb casting. Spray heavily up through the central tube (where the bowl nut/main jet screws in). Put it all back together and see if it runs better for you.

Well I took the carb off, and cleaned everything. I soaked the carb body in Seafoam, and made sure everything looked clean and dry. Bolted the carb back up, started it with the choke fully ON...it rev'd up to about a zillion RPM, started backfiring out of the muffler...then started back firing out the carb...then puked a bunch of oil out of a drain tube onto my garage floor. ARGHHH! It will NOT start even hot with the choke off, and it is running dangerously high RPMs. For something so simple...this is extremely aggravating.

vacuum leak. choke closed = no air to engine but it is still running! air is entering the engine some where other than the carb. just my 2 cents

Ian

I was thinking this as well. For the amount of revs there has to be quite a bit of air entering the engine.........

Check the governor and watch the throttle linkage on the carb when you start it. Also make sure all the fasteners for everything on the intake side (carb, manifold, etc.) are tight and look for any air leaks.

if that is a Tecumseh moter there is a very small hole in the side of the high speed adjuster that you don't see unless you know its their. that's where the low speed fuel comes from. that is probably plugged up. take the fuel needle assembly that hold the flote bole out remove the needle and look in the hole. off to the side their is a pinhole. it must bee clear.that may not be the problem but that's what causes a lot of those moters to run like ****. if you dont know its their its very easy to miss.good luck

-
Back