Small pattern Torq Thrust, What "was" available then?

-

F&J

Reaction score
I think I have 2 coming for the front of my 69 Dart. Supposed to be around 6" on 14". What sizes were available? Just one, I'd bet? What are the chances of ever finding a pair for the rear, or are they not super rare?
84fb_1.JPG

Anybody know if this wheel looks correct or anything about the style of center cap attachment?

Pretty rare, you got a good deal, I was watching those on ebay! There was another on ebay, a 15x6 N.O.S. one, guy said is was 5 on 4 pattern, only had the one. Pretty tough to find another pair!

I wasn't aware that torque thrusts were availble in the small bolt pattern. Please post to verify that when you get the wheels. That would be cool if they are. Then I will definitely be looking for a set if this is true!

Back in the day I remember only cragar ss, cragar sst, centerlines, an unknown brand of aluminum slots, and Keystone Classic wheels being available as small bolt pattern (or as we used to refer to them as BVD bolt pattern - Barracuda, Valiant, Dart). With 15" only availble in cragar SS and centerlines.

Well, thanks to the link from 360scamp, I searched that site and it looks like a T70 American Racing. They had snap-in caps. There are new orig & repro T70 caps on ebay, but these 4"BC wheels might take a special cap with reliefs for the lug socket to clear? I just did some "T70 American Racing" searches and need to re-read more of it. Looks like a tough deal to find more? Here's one pic of a T70 for a wider pattern.
akh094.jpg

Maybe for now, I will run black widened 340/GTS steelies with cheater slicks on the back? How would that look?

Maybe for now, I will run black widened 340/GTS steelies with cheater slicks on the back? How would that look?

I'm thinking that would look pretty mean...after all that kind of set up was pretty common "back in the day"... Maybe I'm too old school, but I love that look! JMHO

Ray

I think I will just widen a set of GTS steelies and use cheater slicks. I'm tired of looking for impossible parts...takes the fun out of the car? I have 7 GTS wheels with 4 button caps, a set of big & little Centerlines, but the rears are wider than the front and the offset is WRONG for a Dart! Wheel companies just grabbed a blank and drilled a pattern, and the customer was stuck with a blank that maybe was perfect for a Mustang or Chevelle. I would have to cut my rearwheel lips to use these wheels in my pic. Yes, I finally have the car indoors!...I moved to a place with several buildings. Car is orig paint(needs redo), was 273-4 speed, now has a 1973 340 w/the orig 69 trans & shifter. The last owner put the 340/GTS hood on in 1980.
DSCN1239.JPG

I also found a cool set of really old Offenhauser valve covers with no PCV holes at a local swap. I have a six pack with mechanical secondaries but I need to use a Bridgeport to take 1-1/2" off the carb mounting towers on the intake, so the hood can close! P/S, I tried to buy this car from him in 1990. When he decided to sell in 2006-7, he tracked me down in the phone book!

Here's a '66 Barracuda around where I live with Torq Thrust 4" bolt pattern wheels.

Dean_5.jpg

img_1744.jpg

Back in the day I remember only cragar ss, cragar sst, centerlines, an unknown brand of aluminum slots, and Keystone Classic wheels being available as small bolt pattern (or as we used to refer to them as BVD bolt pattern - Barracuda, Valiant, Dart). With 15" only availble in cragar SS and centerlines.

I remember a turbine style wheel in the sbp. Maybe made by Fenton or Western? I think Vector might have made a "Dukes of Hazzard" style wheel. Also, I had a set of 14" Rocket brand chrome spokes (similar to an S/S). I think several companies made an aluminum slot. I've got some really old catalogs somewhere. If I find them I'll try to post some brand names.

My buddy has the turbine ones on his '69 Valiant, they were on the car when we bought it. No, they are not K-car metric ones that someone pointed out to me at some point. They're all cleaned up now, I'll have to take a photo...they look amazing all cleaned and clearcoated.

IMG_8903.JPG

-
Back