Smallblock 6 pac

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
jimbo, complete setups pop up once in awhile. I would rather save up and buy a complete setup than piecemeal it. Good luck with your search.

That's true, I see big block setups all the time. Not so much the smallblocks, I have a good set of ported J heads. Vacuum leaks galore with the aluminum intake. It's an old setup on a new motor, #6 has a 1" crack on the plenum. A good cast dual plane might be an option, and keep the 550 Edelbrock.
At this point I just want to fix it and forget it.

Ive got a six pack on my 340 that I think about changing to a 4 barrel sometimes.The cams 292 duration alters the vac and they dont open the way they should.

I like progressive mechanical better than vacuum (I've restored original vacuum setups for Super Birds and Convertible Coronets). It's pretty easy to rig but it does effect your choice of air filter housings. Holley 2 bbl carbs are available from 280 CFM to 650CFM in stock forms though rated as single carb installations (but that's another story). A steady hand and a hacksaw can make a viable six pack carb from an old $6 Ford carb. When running a mechanical sixpack you must use the side pivot bowls ( better for straight line acceleratuion anyway) because of the clearance issue between the rear and center carb. I never did understand why mopar didn't evenly space the carbs. If you think you might want to try and scroung up mechanical carbs things to always check for symetry are air bleed jets and basic carb dimensions and layout. The center carb is ok to be an orphan but make sure your outboards match in every detail. If you decide to go this route I can post some pics of various mods and linkages to make it go smoother for you.

l_613e781d0778fabb372bc759bad81c49.jpg

All I can tell you is Don Little, who ran 440 Six Packs in NHRA for years, and set records etc, only ran the vacuum setup. That's all I run. That's all Bob Karakashian runs.

IF you don't treat them like a 4V and try to TUNE them like a 4V, they aren't hard to deal with. They are streetable, reliable, and can even get (relatively) good mileage.

People get pissed at them because they run big, lumpy cams which screw with the vacuum, and they have no idea how to set them up.

You don't need some bigass cam to make them run. My Challenger went [email protected] with NO traction and 19" vacuum.

Why mess with success?

Buy yourself a brand new set of carbs, so you know some brain surgeon hasn't been "working on them" and screwed them up beyond repair. Check the M.P. engine book for jetting tips and you'll be fine.

All I can tell you is Don Little, who ran 440 Six Packs in NHRA for years, and set records etc, only ran the vacuum setup. That's all I run. That's all Bob Karakashian runs.

Why mess with success?

Buy yourself a brand new set of carbs, so you know some brain surgeon hasn't been "working on them" and screwed them up beyond repair. Check the M.P. engine book for jetting tips and you'll be fine.

All due respect Sedan.... Mechanical wasn't a factory option or legal for class racing. Our poster here basically said at the get go he didn't want to spend two thousand dollars... It does seem to tick off guys who spend lots of $$$ on stuff when you put them on the trailer with junkyard parts. :cheers:

I'm in on this knowledge.......:toothy10:

Soon to be started and runnin...............problems to come I know.....

Ive been working on mine for 2 years trying to get it right,most of the problems were not related to the six pack itself,ignition issues,timing issues
and vacuum leaks.Finally fixed all of those and its a world of difference.Just
need to figure the jetting out on the outboards.

Also running the vacuum secondaries,the transition is not to bad now,i
gathered lots of info off the web which was very helpful.Trial and error,
every engine is going to react different depending on how its built.

Oh by the way if your looking for a manifold i have one from Mopar Performance,it has a crack in it where the vacuum plug screws in to
it at the left rear and would need welded.$100.00 + shipping if inter.
i will post pics of manifold and crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back