smallblock

-

fishman

Reaction score
Need some input on the oiling of the timming chain on a smallblock. Im doing a 408 for my 69 cuda, ive had the motor apart for years and am missing a couple of small parts. Some of these have a piece of bent steel that goes under one of the bolts on the cam plate, I think some have a hole drilled thru one of the bolts that hold that plate on. Some dont have anything at all. Can anyone give me some input on whats the best or if it is needed. Thanks Tom

I believe you are correct. Some hvae those parts some dont. Im not sure why.

I dont have the small metal piece, and the bolts got from chrysler dont have the hole in one. Just wondering if I will be alright with neather one. Im ready to put this thing together today. Tom

I dont think my last few motors had those parts either. I even had one with no oil slinger on the crank.

Thanks Adam I will go ahead and put the cam in and check this post before I go to far. I have some bucks in this motor and dont want to take any chances.

Yes but some have them and some dont. I was going to run one down if I had to. Thanks Tom

Ok you can do the drilled bolt, tab or new style plate. Also I would use a slinger too. Notice new style plate has drain groves into it.

picture of block holes to plug or not.jpg

thrust plates.jpg

Thanks that post really helped I think I will be alright on that now. Just need to find out to degree or not to degree the cam. Thanks again Tom

degree it - when you are done check your timing mark on the damper against a dial indicated measurement of TDC on piston one. Trust me it's worth it to know.

-
Back