smelled burning, saw smoke

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
Driving to Fedex today:
Smelled like rubber burning, thought, can't be me.
Stopped at the light and smoke blew past my window. Hmm might be me.
Said, I'll check it out at my destination.
Got there and went to pull the brake handle. Oops! Left her on.
But I did discover only one brake was smoking, so the other is probably loose.

That guy in the mirror does dumb stuff lol

At the risk of bein a smartass....which I am NOT, keeping the rear brakes clean and adjusted regularly will make sure the parking brake works well enough that it will keep them locked trying to go forward and put considerable drag trying to back up. Keep in mind since the front shoes are shorter, they are designed for stopping going forward. That's why they don't hold nearly as good in reverse....but maintaining them sure does help. I've done it on a few cars I've had in the past where I failed to properly maintain the rear brakes. Haven't done it on Vixen yet.....knock on wood.

You got it, Rob. I can tell when my "parking brake" is on. Now, when I decided to adjust the cable, it took 3 days of PB Blaster to get the adjusting nut to move.

You got it, Rob. I can tell when my "parking brake" is on. Now, when I decided to adjust the cable, it took 3 days of PB Blaster to get the adjusting nut to move.
That's why I use ceramic brake grease. It's purple and it costs about 18 bucks, but it's well worth it.

At the risk of bein a smartass....which I am NOT, keeping the rear brakes clean and adjusted regularly will make sure the parking brake works well enough that it will keep them locked trying to go forward and put considerable drag trying to back up. Keep in mind since the front shoes are shorter, they are designed for stopping going forward. That's why they don't hold nearly as good in reverse....but maintaining them sure does help. I've done it on a few cars I've had in the past where I failed to properly maintain the rear brakes. Haven't done it on Vixen yet.....knock on wood.
Better yet, I went in to redo the drums and found the axle is leaking, same side. Maybe I burned off some of that axle lube.
I need more drum brake tools, I can tell you that!

Better yet, I went in to redo the drums and found the axle is leaking, same side. Maybe I burned off some of that axle lube.
I need more drum brake tools, I can tell you that!
It's funny how that works. It can make the brakes slip of course, but it can also make them grab, too. We normally don't do enough backing up to allow the self adjusters to work. That's why it's important to try and remember to help them out every now and then. That seal dang sure added to the issue.

I met a girl in a bar the other day and we started chatting... She asked me if I smoke after sex... I said, "I don't know, I've never looked"... :)

But I have smelled burning rubber a few times... :eek:

Sooo, avoid going to Fedex.....
Man I hear ya. Unfortunately this bad dizzy won't drive itself there.
It's funny how that works. It can make the brakes slip of course, but it can also make them grab, too. We normally don't do enough backing up to allow the self adjusters to work. That's why it's important to try and remember to help them out every now and then. That seal dang sure added to the issue.
I need to invest in whatever tool lets you adjust the brakes through those little oval holes in the backing plate. And see if my axle vent is plugged. Crossing fingers I don't have to do those axle seals again

Man I hear ya. Unfortunately this bad dizzy won't drive itself there.

I need to invest in whatever tool lets you adjust the brakes through those little oval holes in the backing plate. And see if my axle vent is plugged. Crossing fingers I don't have to do those axle seals again
It's called a brake spoon. A wide blade flat screwdriver works, too.

My hands need all the help they can get. Kinda arthritis-ey these days
I can certainly relate to that. A good tip. Doing work on drum brakes is really easy, even if you've not done it a lot. I've done so much of it, I can tear all four down, throw it all in the same bucket and go back, BUT, that's from decades of doing it. Just do one side at the time and leave the other side together as a guide. Just remember that opposite side is a mirror image. That's how I learned it and it sticks in no time when you see what everything is doing.

When you cooked your brakes you probanly cooked the seals in the wheel cylinder and the axle seal as well.Better check them or it well get real messy in there.Been there done that

Circa 1973/1974 I'd picked up a double black '59 Edsel Corsari for a couple hundred as a joke to drive around. Actually wasn't a bad car. 332, manual everything. Drove it up to Union Grove WI with a couple buddies for a big NHRA event to see Big Daddy run of course. Parking was in the field on a steep uphill angle so the E brake was on. End of the day, beers etc, got in the car, fired it up, started home. No light on the dash and forgot about the E brake. Half way on the 294 the right rear wheel burst into flames. Yep. Somehow got word to a tow truck who picked up the car and took us home, me in the truck and my buddies in the car. They said it was frightening to say the least. Ah youth and the good ole days.

When you cooked your brakes you probanly cooked the seals in the wheel cylinder and the axle seal as well.Better check them or it well get real messy in there.Been there done that
The seals were leaking before I cooked the drum. It was definitely a mess and not fun to clean up. Pushed the bearing grease out of course. These were newer seals too.
Do you have to press the bearing off to do the inner seal?
Circa 1973/1974 I'd picked up a double black '59 Edsel Corsari for a couple hundred as a joke to drive around. Actually wasn't a bad car. 332, manual everything. Drove it up to Union Grove WI with a couple buddies for a big NHRA event to see Big Daddy run of course. Parking was in the field on a steep uphill angle so the E brake was on. End of the day, beers etc, got in the car, fired it up, started home. No light on the dash and forgot about the E brake. Half way on the 294 the right rear wheel burst into flames. Yep. Somehow got word to a tow truck who picked up the car and took us home, me in the truck and my buddies in the car. They said it was frightening to say the least. Ah youth and the good ole days.
I was afraid I might go in Fedex and return to a bonfire :) Good story!!!
I can certainly relate to that. A good tip. Doing work on drum brakes is really easy, even if you've not done it a lot. I've done so much of it, I can tear all four down, throw it all in the same bucket and go back, BUT, that's from decades of doing it. Just do one side at the time and leave the other side together as a guide. Just remember that opposite side is a mirror image. That's how I learned it and it sticks in no time when you see what everything is doing.
Man that is impressive. I think I would have a panic attack if all my brakes parts were in a bucket lol

-
Back