Smith Wesson MP Shield 9mm

-

femtnmax

Reaction score
Just bought this gun recently because it is small, easy to conceal carry, is single stack, and my wife can shoot it easily.
First thing took it apart, cleaned and lubed per owner handbook included with the gun.
Then to the range to break in and test for initial reliability.
The FMJ rounds I used included several brands of new in box plus several boxes of reloads from various shooting supply stores, so a good mix of ammo. First day put 200 FMJ rounds thru it along with 25 defense hollow points after the first 30 FMJ rounds. Second day put another 150 FMJ followed by 40 defense hollow points.
There were no failures of any kind.
Did not clean the gun until all this ammo was run thru it. So I thought the gun did well. I found the trigger worked well, smooth with a short reset. I may add Talon rubber grips for a little better grip on hot days.

I carry the M&P Shield 9mm also. Love it. It's just big enough to shoot well, but small enough to carry well. I've had mine about 2 years now and haven't had one bit of problem with it. There was a recall on the trigger on the very early ones but mine wasn't included in that.

I also have a MP9 shield I am very happy over all but it is very stiff and my wife has a hard time loading the clip and pulling the action back . we have only put about 75 rounds though it and it is braking in nicely

I also have a MP9 shield I am very happy over all but it is very stiff and my wife has a hard time loading the clip and pulling the action back . we have only put about 75 rounds though it and it is braking in nicely

Yeah, my wife didn't like the M&P Shield 9mm. She went with a S&W Model 60 .357 magnum revolver. She liked the heavier frame with less kick and no slide with a stiff spring! No safety, just point and shoot. Although the trigger pull is strong enough to be a safety.

good for her..I tried to get my wife to go revolver for those exact reasons but she wanted a auto to many movies I guess lol, but she payed half so what do you do. besides if she goes wacky doodel I just mite have time to get away.
Yeah, my wife didn't like the M&P Shield 9mm. She went with a S&W Model 60 .357 magnum revolver. She liked the heavier frame with less kick and no slide with a stiff spring! No safety, just point and shoot. Although the trigger pull is strong enough to be a safety.

So where's the flippin picture?

good for her..I tried to get my wife to go revolver for those exact reasons but she wanted a auto to many movies I guess lol, but she payed half so what do you do. besides if she goes wacky doodel I just mite have time to get away.

LOL!!!! That's a very good reason!!!!

Here's ours. I have one of my wife at the range shooting, but it's for my eyes only!

handguns.jpg

Good choice, carried S&W 9 for years on the patrol. Never had any issues carried 158 gr SJHP for duty use. No jams or misfires.

I have heard good things about the MPs. Just did not feel rite in my hand, that's just me. I carry a Colt Mustang pocket lite.

Just dropping in to say there are some upgrades available for the M&P line, specifically the Shield to make them easier to shoot. If you are interested, take a look at Apex Tactical for their trigger assembly. It is fairly drop in and makes an already amazing weapon and platform better. I have a Shield in 9mm and 40, I am also have a M&P40C and a full frame 40. In my opinion it is the best platform in semi auto on the market today. I am a retired Police Officer and carried a Glock G22 for 13 years and was never a fan.

M&P is an amazing weapon system and the Apex Tactical drop in kit makes it even better. Just my opinion but at least check it out. Like I said, I am a retired Police Officer who carried Glock and I swear by the Smith and Wesson M&P platform. As a side note, Ruger has a new semi auto out called the American that is also an incredible weapon. Ruger has had a hit and miss history with the semi auto platform but this is an very quality weapon platform that is incredibly reasonable to buy.

Just my two cents and I appreciate the chance to give my opinion.

Thanks much

My wife had a Ruger LCP 380. It had several problems so she replaced it with a Sig P238 380. This Sig did not like gun oil for lube between the slide and rail (2 failure to eject, each after about 50 rounds), instead we are using Lubriplate per Sig armorer recommendations with no problems now.
Am also looking into Apex trigger kit for MP Shield. Thanks mpd.

Just received a re-pop German marked holster for my VIS 35 Radom. Great quality and it makes the whole room smell like a pair of new shoes!
radom-pistol-jpg.1714954685

Just dropping in to say there are some upgrades available for the M&P line, specifically the Shield to make them easier to shoot. If you are interested, take a look at Apex Tactical for their trigger assembly. It is fairly drop in and makes an already amazing weapon and platform better. I have a Shield in 9mm and 40, I am also have a M&P40C and a full frame 40. In my opinion it is the best platform in semi auto on the market today. I am a retired Police Officer and carried a Glock G22 for 13 years and was never a fan.

M&P is an amazing weapon system and the Apex Tactical drop in kit makes it even better. Just my opinion but at least check it out. Like I said, I am a retired Police Officer who carried Glock and I swear by the Smith and Wesson M&P platform. As a side note, Ruger has a new semi auto out called the American that is also an incredible weapon. Ruger has had a hit and miss history with the semi auto platform but this is an very quality weapon platform that is incredibly reasonable to buy.

Just my two cents and I appreciate the chance to give my opinion.

Thanks much
Thank you for being a police officer. My guys use Glocks also for duty weapons but all 8 carry .40 Shields as backup weapons.

Last edited:
I have 2 M&Ps, I have had just one failure and it was due to a bad mag (btw S&W replaced it free)

My wife carries a Shield. 1200 rounds no issues. We shoot a lot and reload some. It eats any and all ammo.

-
Back